Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbluewolf88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've been having an issue with a mac mini. At times, when I wake it up from sleep, it wakes up to a double image moving back forth really quickly. The video doesn't really show the moving back and forth motion, but that's pretty much what I see. Restarting it fixes the issue as well as unplugging and plugging the HDMI back in, but I dont want to be doing that all the time. Any clues as to what's happening?

Thanks

Attachments

• gif1.gif
    gif1.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 332

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Can you test the Mac mini with a different monitor or HDMI cable? Or can you test the monitor with a different computer?

bigbluewolf88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Can you test the Mac mini with a different monitor or HDMI cable? Or can you test the monitor with a different computer?

Sorry for the late reply. I've swapped cables and have a PC connected. PC works fine, the mac still does this.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I occasionally get this issue with my Mini - it resembles an interlacing effect after waking my Mac up like the video RAM has been corrupted. The fault is rectified on a restart.

Obviously, the OS versions when this happens is different (later) so it might not be software.

The fault may be with the GPU but my 2012 Mini is fairly old and I've been waiting for some time for a suitable updated Mini.

It may have been related to the 'snowy' image issue that was reported on many 2011/2012 models back in the day. You don't specify exactly which model you have

bigbluewolf88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I occasionally get this issue with my Mini - it resembles an interlacing effect after waking my Mac up like the video RAM has been corrupted. The fault is rectified on a restart.

Obviously, the OS versions when this happens is different (later) so it might not be software.

The fault may be with the GPU but my 2012 Mini is fairly old and I've been waiting for some time for a suitable updated Mini.

It may have been related to the 'snowy' image issue that was reported on many 2011/2012 models back in the day. You don't specify exactly which model you have

Thanks. I'm starting to think it's a hardware issue as well. I have a Mac Mini Late 2014 running Sierra 10.12.6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.