Mac Mini drive 2 TVs?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Smileyboy, May 29, 2014.

1. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I'm setting up a streaming session for about 4 hours of video.
    I plan on getting a top of the line Mac mini with Ethernet connected for the internet.

I'm just wondering if a Mac mini will be able to drive 2 TVs streaming a video. If so what connections do a need to do this?

2. dvdchance macrumors regular

Will both tv's be showing the same or different videos? How do you want to control them, via ir remote?

3. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Yes, both TVs will be displaying the same content.

4. dvdchance macrumors regular

You can connect 1 tv using the hdmi port, and the second using a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter.

5. COrocket macrumors 6502

Use the built in hdmi port with a regular hdmi cable and a minidispayport to HDMI cable such as this one http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...7860&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+displayport+to+hdmi to hook up the two TV's. They will appear as two separate monitors, so if you want them to display the same image go into the display settings and select "mirror displays".

Unless you want the extra storage space, a base model mini would work sufficiently for streaming video. It has the same networking and graphics package as the top end model.

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

At one of my clinics I have an i5 Mac Mini ->HDMI out ->HDMI Splitter-> 2 - 42" LED TV's and this streams a website video feed all day. I just set it and forget it.

7. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Perfect. Exactly what I was hoping for!!! Thx

8. blanka macrumors 68000

For this type of work even cheapo DVI/HDMI splitters will work. That makes 4 displays possible as well.

9. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F29MZ4/ref=oh_details_o00_s03_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    this is the splitter I bought.

I am only ever going to output to those 2 TV's but I will be using more inputs like
    HD Antenna - for local weather,etc in emergencies, (I am in N TX you know)
    AppleTV - for Airplaying keynotes and videos for training purposes
    Mac Mini - for my streaming video feed for now

It does the job, I mean it's a splitter so all it has to do is split the incoming signal times 2.