Mac mini dual displays

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by blacka4, Jan 2, 2014.

1. blacka4, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

blacka4 macrumors 6502

Can I do dual displays using the TB port to DVI then use the display port on the dell monitor to the display port on the second ?

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

no. that display port is an inny not an outty

3. chrfr macrumors 603

You can use the HDMI port as well as the Thunderbolt port to use 2 displays on the Mac mini.

4. SBA macrumors member

This is correct. Just check monoprice.com for the cables you need (most likely HDMI-to-DVI and minidisplayport-to-DVI - assuming the monitors have DVI input) and you should be good.

5. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool thanks guys. Looking for a new Mac to replace my MBP and run the new simcity. I might shy away from the mini and iMac and go used Mac Pro.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple conveniently ships the mini with the HDMI to DVI adapter, so it's only necessary to buy others for the Mini Displayport connection.

7. raystrack macrumors newbie

Can someone confirm that two monitors connected to the Mini can be used as independent screens i.e. internet browser on one and an application on the other? I'm just about to buy one and it's an essential requirement.

8. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Not quite sure what you mean by "independent screens" but you can certainly run different applications on the two different displays. You basically have one big monitor and can position your apps as needed.

9. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I have a user which has a several years old Mini and the screens are independent meaning not cloned.

10. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Yep, Easily done. Enjoy:)

11. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I'm using dual monitors on my mini starting today. I am getting my thunderbolt to HDMI cable today, and on the other monitor I have an HDMI to DVI.

12. raystrack macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure how to refer to this - on my iMac with an extension monitor I can use Preferences to have the second screen mirror the first or have something different.

The Mini will be used solely for music composition, using Logic Pro X. I need the facility to have an Arrange page on one monitor and the mixer and plug-in windows on the other.

13. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

As long as you use different apps on each display there is no problem.

14. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Won't be a problem.