Mac Mini Dual Screen Question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by vvebster, Feb 25, 2012.

1. vvebster macrumors regular

I have a that only has one DVI port and I want to set up a dual screen so I can edit pictures and videos easier. My question is, which one should I get?

A USB to DVI video display adapter (around 40$) or a self-powered video display adapter (100$+) ?

Note: all I'm going to be doing is, web browsing, picture editing and video editing. I'm not going be doing any gaming :)

Please let me know asap, as I'm about to go out in an hour to find a display adapter. Thank you and have a nice day.

2. vvebster thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've been reading a lot of comments on other forums. I just wanted to see if other people know a thing or 2 about my situation.

3. simsaladimbamba

A USB adapter will work for text windows or the bins, but not for video display, that will be only properly working with the DVI connection.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search while you are waiting to find similar threads about USB to VGA/DVI adapters:
    [​IMG]

4. dcoulson macrumors member

Not sure what a 'self-powered video display adapter' is. If you find a USB to DVI adapter based on the DL-195 chipset (find one which does 1920x1080) you will probably have more success than a cheaper adapter. That said, you're probably going to be spending ~$70. It's not much use for video, but it works for the basics. Sounds like you have an older Mini (2008 or earlier), so using a USB adapter is probably going to beat the crap out of the CPU. You might be better of looking for a refurb 2010 or 2011 mini which will natively do 2 displays.