Mac Mini DVD Rip

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by glennsan, Feb 13, 2011.

1. glennsan macrumors regular

I am wanting to get a Mac Mini for a Home Media Center and replace my laptop which I use now. My question is since I rip my dvd's using Handbrake is it as loud doing that as it is on my MacBook Pro? I think they have the same slim dvd and i since I rip them frequently I am wondering if I will have to do it overnight when I am not watching the tv. Thanks.

Glenn

2. MacHamster68, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes they are loud , i dont know why , but it seems all slim slot load optical drives apple is using sound like a cement mixer ,dont ask me why i prefer even on my iMac core duo to use a external liteon dvdrw drive to play a dvd ...because with the internal i would need to wear ear protection , its working fine reading writing , just loud, the ones in my eMac's (they have standard desktop opticals 5.25" ) are far more quiet and i use them to rip my dvd collection
    when i helped a mate reinstalling on his iMac 27" i thought apple had fitted a jet engine in it..but apple store said its working and the noise is nothing but normal..

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Handbrake is CPU intensive as well as spinning the DVD drive. The mini has a quieter fan than the MBP so it should be quieter for that reason.