Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alingeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
I have had my Mac Mini since late 2008 and it has been connected to my LCD HDTV with DVI to HDMI ever since. The other day my 2 year old daughter was hitting keys on the keyboard and then the screen went blank. I took it to the apple store and they plugged it into their DVI to VGA connector cause they didnt have a display with an hdmi port and it worked fine. So i bought a new dvi to hdmi cord thinking that was the problem, and when I got home it still didn't work.

I went back to the store and they didn't know what was wrong with it. I have to get on my computer for work as soon as possible. I have tried everything from resetting the PRAM to logging in blind with 'voice command' and changing the display resolutions, nothing is working. I even tried my other hdtv, same thing...no signal.

Why would this stop working all of the sudden? What can i do to fix this?

littfam

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you running plex?

alingeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Mac Mini DVI to HDMI stopped working. Need help asap.

I'm not using plex, and i can't setup a new user account without seeing what i'm doing, but i have logged in under another user with the same results.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I'm not using plex, and i can't setup a new user account without seeing what i'm doing, but i have logged in under another user with the same results.

I'm not sure this will work for a mini, but Command + f2 should cause it to detect displays.

angrystroker

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
Atlanta, Ga (downtown)
found this you may want to try, maybe she hit the right keys, of course the wrong keys for you.. but this could be a possibility.

I changed my display's resolution and now there's no picture
You may have selected an unsupported screen resolution. To resolve the problem, you need to restart your computer in "Safe Mode" and then choose another resolution.

To start up your computer in Safe Mode and choose a different resolution:
Shut down your computer by holding down the power button.
Restart your computer, and immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. (Don't press the Shift key before you hear the startup tone.) Release the Shift key when you see the progress indicator below the gray Apple icon. Startup may take a bit longer than usual.
Your displays should begin working correctly.

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Click the Displays preference pane.
Select a resolution and refresh rate that is supported by the display.
Restart your computer.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
The other day my 2 year old daughter was hitting keys on the keyboard and then the screen went blank. Why would this stop working all of the sudden?

I posted a small comment but some how it was taken down. I think you have the answer from letting a 2 year old hit on your key board. Yep that's it. I don't let kids that young near the computer.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I posted a small comment but some how it was taken down. I think you have the answer from letting a 2 year old hit on your key board. Yep that's it. I don't let kids that young near the computer.

Sometimes things happen? I don't have kids, but I know from friends, ****** happens. And you deal with it.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Sometimes things happen? I don't have kids, but I know from friends, ****** happens. And you deal with it.

Kids are not the only ones who can screw the computer up. I had a lady working for me who was my computers worst enemy. I told her to hit return and she did with her fist. The keyboard quit working. Sounds funny but she did just as she was told....we all know I ment press return. Guess that is kind of my fault...I should have said press very gently the return key.

This lady also lost the rear view mirror off her car and drove it that way for over two years. Yep, no rear view mirror. She told me there was nothing going on behind her anyway. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.