Mac Mini DVI to HDMi

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by arkmannj, Nov 5, 2009.

1. arkmannj macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Hello,

I'm trying to get my Mac Mini (Intel GMA 950, C2D, 2GB Ram, 2007,) to work hooked up to my Philips TV (42", Model: 42PFL7422D/37) with no success.
    No grey apple at boot or anything. If I remote into the Mac Mini (using VNC or similar) I can get in, and it shows the phillips TV okay.

Other info:
    Using a DVI-D to HDMI cable (works connecting the TV with my Mac Book Pro and old quicksilver Powermac)

I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts.

I was thinking maybe the MacMini doesn't have a strong enough signal throughput, maybe to long of a cable, or if I got a booster or something that might help.

I was also looking into something like this (that way I can get Audio to) has anyone tried something like this before ?

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-I-DUAL-LI...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257461036&sr=8-1

Thanks,
    ~Ark

2. mkcoo macrumors newbie

Hey am about to try the same thing MM to Sony 46". Am going to get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter and HDMI-HDMI and hope that works. Dont think you can get a Mini Displayport to HDMI Cable?

For audio someone has suggested...

Optical cable with a mini jack adaptor http://store.apple.com/uk/product/T...3Ng&mco=MTE0ODc4ODQ&p=2&s=topSellers#overview

3. ilovebananas macrumors member

That is strange. I have used mac mini's as media centres for years.I had exactly the same model as you before and it worked perfectly with my Philips 43pfl9632. Have the current one and also works fine as well.

On some Philips Tv's you can upgrade the firmware yourself via USB. try this and see if it works. Also some Philips sets have advanced settings for av connections in the menu. On my one I have set HDMI 1 to PC input (this seems to alter processing/resolution settings)

If none of the above work, then I am stumped. It should just work.

4. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Unfortunatly my mac mini doesn't have a Display Port, just a Dvi-I port.

5. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Makes me wonder if my mac mini has a defective dvi port (supplies weak signal or something) cuz yeah I've updated the TV's firmware, tried the PC setting ( along with pretty much all the other settings I could)

just boggles my mind though, cuz the mini works great with all other displays I've tried, and the TV/ DVI--> HDMI cable have worked great with all other computers I've tried...

6. TheZA macrumors regular

Are you running Snow Leopard?

I have a Macbook with mini-DVI and have connected without issue in the past, under Leopard, to my HDTV using a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter, 6' HDMI cable, and 3.5mm audio (both ends). All the cables and adapters from Monoprice.com. Under Snow Leopard the computer won't recognize the display using the HDMI setup. I can connect it via VGA, but sometimes the picture quality is off. Apparently this is some bug with Snow Leopard. I have read where others have had success using a mini-DVI to DVI, then a DVI to HDMI cable. Anything but the pure HDMI.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Maybe a marginal connector on the cable.

Maybe a bad connector on the Mac mini.

8. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Running snow leopard, though the same issues existed with Leopard, and Windows XP,Vista (boot camp)
    I don't think the OS is the issue, as I don't even get the grey screen with the Apple, and when I remote connect to the Mini I can see the "Phillips TV" listed as the display.

9. j2048b macrumors 6502a

could it be a setting within the tv? OR>>>>

do you have it set up in the computer to extend the monitor or mirror?

you may have to mirror onto the TV monitor, because if it is set to dual displays and set as non mirrored, it maybe the culprit?

just a suggestion.....

as far as audio goes, get the TOSLINK adapter shown on the link for the apple site along with an optical cable (just learned this stuff:) and run the digital cable from the toslink adapter to the receiver or tv, (toslink adapter gets plugged into the optical output of the mini, right next to the earphones plugin)

10. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

I'll give the TV settings another try, I thought I had tried about everything imaginable (even going through my Receiver, and trying different settings on that)

My Mac Mini doesn't support multiple monitors, so I haven''t been able to set mirroring or extended desktop with it. (though I use both settings with my Mac Book Pro just fine on the TV.)

Thanks
    ~Ark