Mac mini + eGPU ... Annoying Startup.

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
Hey everyone. Recently got my fully loaded Mac mini in, I paired it with a Razer Core X eGPU + Vega 56.

Everything is GREAT. Blew my expectations away to be honest. But I'm having a strange issue:

When the computer sleeps and I attempt to wake it up, nothing shows on the screen. From what I thought I understood, this is because the login screen will not recognize the eGPU until im logged in.

I set my account to be automatically logged in but this has done NOTHING. Every time the computer sleeps or I turn it off and start it back up I have to fiddle with the cables, unplugging and replugging, switching inputs until the screen comes back to life.

Am I missing something? Anyone have any insight? I know there's a lot of you with a similar set up.

Thanks a ton.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
What happens if you set "sleep" to "never" and just "sleep the display" instead?

The difference in the amount of power consumed by the Mini when "idle" v. when "sleeping" is only a few watts -- "next-to-nothing".

I would leave the Mini in an "always idling" state, and just reach up and turn off the display when you're not using it.

I suggest you give this a try for 2-3 days, and let us know how it works out.

Reactions: Fawkesguyy

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
What happens if you set "sleep" to "never" and just "sleep the display" instead?

The difference in the amount of power consumed by the Mini when "idle" v. when "sleeping" is only a few watts -- "next-to-nothing".

I would leave the Mini in an "always idling" state, and just reach up and turn off the display when you're not using it.

I suggest you give this a try for 2-3 days, and let us know how it works out.
Awesome, just set this up, ill give this a try.
[doublepost=1562854587][/doublepost]
Try turning off FileVault.
Yep already off! I did a ton of research before even setting this up. Thanks for the tip though!

padams35

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2016
This sounds like the "my mini doesn't recognize my monitor" issue. Very common, but very different symptoms and fixes.

For me my monitor would turn on but only show static until I cycled display power or reconnected cables and went away mostly for good after I switched from having the offending monitor connected to the mini's HDMI to connecting to the eGPU. Others have reportedly had to switch to higher quality cables. Switching "sleep" to "never" also works for display issues that only occur on wakeup.

Also the login screen works with eGPUs when FileVault is off. No need for automatic login.

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
This sounds like the "my mini doesn't recognize my monitor" issue. Very common, but very different symptoms and fixes.

For me my monitor would turn on but only show static until I cycled display power or reconnected cables and went away mostly for good after I switched from having the offending monitor connected to the mini's HDMI to connecting to the eGPU. Others have reportedly had to switch to higher quality cables. Switching "sleep" to "never" also works for display issues that only occur on wakeup.

Also the login screen works with eGPUs when FileVault is off. No need for automatic login.
Wow that's really weird. I have filevault off, with the monitor connected directly to the eGPU and I've been totally unable to see the login screen.

Ive also tried 2 different HDMI cables. Not the highest quality though.

For now I've switched sleep to never. Thanks for the insight! Hoping to find a total solution eventually. Ill keep experimenting.

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
I've seen the same issue but only occasionally.

After clicking the mouse to wake up my Mini, my monitor generally wakes up and shows the login screen fine. Occasionally, the monitor doesn't wake up, though. Power cycling either the monitor or the eGPU enclosure resolves it.

I'm using a different eGPU enclosure, different GPU, and presumably different monitor to you. So I can only assume what we're experiencing is different manifestations of a macOS software bug... that will hopefully get fixed in a point release.

jinnyman

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Sleep with eGPU had been very unstable for me. I tried many things, but nothing fixed the issue.
I ended up getting rid of eGPU, and go full force with my recent Hackintosh build.

thera

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
I had similar issue when tried connect Blackmagic to my 2 LG 4k (non ultra fine) monitors via USB-C. Solution was to buy TB-DP adapter and connect monitors via DP. Now is everything ok incl. sleeping...

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
frou wrote (about the 10.14.6 update)
"Resolves a graphics issue that may occur when waking from sleep"

Note: I don't use an eGPU.

But on my 2018 Mini, the update didn't resolve anything.
I still get a "momentary blackout" of the display as the OS loads, before the login screen is displayed.

It always "comes back on".
But still... it ALWAYS "goes black" for a couple of seconds beforehand.

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
When the computer sleeps and I attempt to wake it up, nothing shows on the screen.
Same issue with the Blackmagic eGPU and the Mac Mini
FYI macOS 10.14.6 has definitely fixed this problem for me.

I still get a "momentary blackout" of the display as the OS loads, before the login screen is displayed.

It always "comes back on".
But still... it ALWAYS "goes black" for a couple of seconds beforehand.
Yep, it is somewhat slow (couple of seconds) to fully wake up. But that's infinitely better than it not waking up at all, and having to power cycle the monitor at the wall!