Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
HAHAHAHAHA.

ONLY on Apple forum you can read that temperature in the upper 90s Celsius is OK.

ONLY here.

Nobody in their right mind would assume something like this is correct.
Intel assumes it's correct. After all, they designed the chip to do that. Just apply more cooling and it's just going to ramp the clock speed further and the temps along with it. More cooling and again, ramps further.
But not doing so you're just leaving performance on the table which is a waste. Trust that intel, who designed the chip, knows what they're doing.

shagless

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
Sorry for my late response; I am only talking about performance in Mac OS.
[doublepost=1542584096][/doublepost]

I used the Sonnet Breakaway box and an AMD Vega 64 card.
[doublepost=1544113409][/doublepost]I just got my Mac Mini 2018 (I-7 with 16RAM and 512 SSD) and a Sonnet Puck for my eGPU. Quiet. A little warm, but not too bad. I am not powering 4 or 5k monitors, just two 32" FHD monitors for casual gaming and work. I like opening up older games and bumping up the prefs for the game. (CIV V and some STEAM games). Wanting to see how it does on newer CIV VI next and maybe find another more intense game and see how the set up goes. Beautiful display, the egpu makes the set up easy.

Reactions: Machspeed007

WillemSleegers

macrumors member
May 2, 2016
[doublepost=1544113409][/doublepost]I just got my Mac Mini 2018 (I-7 with 16RAM and 512 SSD) and a Sonnet Puck for my eGPU. Quiet. A little warm, but not too bad. I am not powering 4 or 5k monitors, just two 32" FHD monitors for casual gaming and work. I like opening up older games and bumping up the prefs for the game. (CIV V and some STEAM games). Wanting to see how it does on newer CIV VI next and maybe find another more intense game and see how the set up goes. Beautiful display, the egpu makes the set up easy.

It definitely wasn't quiet to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.