Mac Mini external cooling for CPU boost

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by v04bvs, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:31 AM.

1. v04bvs macrumors member

After disappointing pricing on Mac Pro I'm thinking about building a workstation with Mac Mini. I watched some reviews and it seems that Mac Mini built-in cooling is barely keeps CPU from throttling and CPU gets quite hot, 90+ C. That's unacceptable for me. I need CPU to keep boosting at 4.5+ GHz for a prolonged time and keeping CPU at 70 C max. Obvious improvement is to use external fans cooling Mac Mini case itself. Did someone used that setup and did it improve cooling situation?

2. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

I moved my Mini on my desk (from between two displays, to left of both of them, so there's no disruption to the A/C for the mini) and it gets a lot less hot than before I moved it.

I just did a ridiculously simple stress test (`yes` command in a terminal) and Intel Power Gadget showed it consistently running at about 4.3GHz, and eventually it got up to around 90ºc, and stayed there.

3. oppastopa macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of any material or decent cooling mats one could purchase? I know there is that one crazy 150 dollar unit but other than that?

Putting the mini on a slab of something cold maybe.

4. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I have been using this laptop cooling pad with my Mini and TB3 NVMe boot drive. It is reasonably quiet for a fan and seems to move the air just enough to keep everything from getting warm. I decided getting the cooling mat after reading that some of the external NVMe drives can get pretty warm (and possibly throttle themselves). Since using the mat I have had no such issues.

Initially when using the mat, I was concerned that it wasn't pushing enough air. Now that I have had it for a little while, I see that the fans run just quick enough to push air to keep things cool without being too loud.

The X on the pad was a bonus in my eyes haha. Be warned, though, there is a blue light that does not shut off on this model and the fans are not adjustable that I can see (both of which is fine with me).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L36CEYU

Capture.PNG