Mac Mini - fastest XP Machine I've ever used

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by txnoob, Mar 24, 2009.

1. txnoob macrumors 6502

I swear, this has got to be the speediest machine I've ever used for XP. I'm just playing around with boot camp, but am simply amazed.

It's kind of ironic. Strange thing, it's faster in XP than OSX 10.5.6 And Safari seems to be even faster. Oh well, Still not worth the headache. I've got other windows machines, so this one will stay native. Just wanted to check it out.

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well yeah, you have 4GB's of ram. That's enough to run Vista smoothly and doing stuff other than email and music.
    And obviously it's going to run better than OS X Leopard. The minimum requirements for XP are 256MB ram. Leopard requires at least 512MB with at least a G4 867MHz processor. I have a computer that I use for music which runs XP and it has a Pentium III with 640MB ram. Before I upgraded it to XP it had like 64MB of ram. I upgraded it to like 208MB and it ran XP fine.
    So since you're running on a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of ram I would hope it runs extremely smooth.

3. creon macrumors 6502

Congrats on your new Mac!

I have considered installing XP on my Mac but why muddy the waters?

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

You'd only be doing that if you installed Windows Vista. If you have the extra disk space you should do it.

5. txnoob thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect it to run slow at all. And XP only recognizes 2.72GB of the 4GB. I guess the biggest thing that frustrates me is the internet. It's very noticeably faster in XP than OSX. Safari 4 beta will sit and think for several seconds in OSX where XP loads the same page instantly. Specifically MR and other forums. Makes it more like I'm on my 5 year old IBM laptop. I change router to b/g only and channel 11 and that really didn't seem to change anything. However signal strength meter on Air Traffic Control widget is now in the blue instead of green so some improvement there.

Don't get me wrong. Not worrisome enough to switch back. I love the new OS, it's great software and simple straight forward approach. Hate feeling like a newbie in some aspects. I've had an eMac w/ Leopard on it for a while but used it for about 2 weeks to build a web page and then my 8 year old took over.

6. txnoob thread starter macrumors 6502

It really takes very little space and is handy to have for that program that MUST run on windows where there is no Apple alternate. There's not many but they do exist.

7. joe1946 macrumors regular

I have a BTO Mac Mini with 2.26GHz 4GB 320GB HD, 1TB WD FALS 7200rpm HD ext FW800 with Fusion 2.0.2 running XP Pro SP3 with only 512mb assigned to it and it runs great. It seems just as fast in IE8 as it does on my PC with 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo , 2GB DDR2 RAM, ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb VRAM and 250GB 7200rpm HD.

[​IMG]

8. txnoob thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I had no performance issues with XP, but that was in boot camp, not Fusion. I tried VirtualBox, Sun's open source program and I was not impressed with performance AT ALL. I created a 10GB partition, and allocated 1GB of Ram and it was slower than a 486SX 25Mhz trying to run windows 95.

Yes, I tried that once! LOL