Mac Mini fell, is there anything I should look for?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Derpy, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Derpy macrumors newbie

Basically my cat knocked my new Mac Mini off my desk last night. So far, it looks like the only issue was that video playback was halted when the USB hard drive it was playing from was disconnected. I rebooted it and started up normally and seems to be running fine.

I'm new to Macs and I'm worried that there is an issue that occurred that I'm not aware of. Is there anything to look for? Like a test to make sure that every component is functional.

Also the case is perfectly fine and I'm not hearing any loose parts if I move it.

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

If its working fine, there really isn't anything to worry about.

3. Derpy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I'm mainly concerned that something could have been loosened and is just waiting to break on me.

Although I'm not familiar with how much room components have to move inside it. It seems fairly tight, but could that happen? Or are they so close together that they can't really be moved without opening the case?

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

The mini itself should be fine but if it has a mechanical hard drive, I would replace it (if it has a SSD, then don't worry).

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If I were you, I'd set up that Mini so it wasn't so easily dislodged and knocked on the floor again...

6. Derpy thread starter macrumors newbie

I've moved it, it was a temporary location while I set up other things and I never expected the 2013 Cat Olympics to occur around it.

I ran Disk Utility and it shows the hard drive as fine. Is there any other program that looks for issues that I can run? I think its perfectly fine at this point though.

7. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

You probably got lucky - there isn't a lot of room for movement in a Mac Mini and the casing is Aluminium so that would've taken most of the impact.

If disk utility is reporting the HDD as OK then that would be the only concern. Use Time Machine regularly to back it up in case you have a future failure.