Mac mini finder flashes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bgioiello, Oct 10, 2009.

1. bgioiello macrumors newbie

The finder is constantly a flashing loop. Will not stop flashing.
    Any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Do you have a video or a picture of what is happening?

3. bgioiello thread starter macrumors newbie

no i don't....the computer boots up and opens to the desktop. I can open safari and other programs but the finder and folder icons continue to flash. They flash so fast I cant click on any folders.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

The most common cause of this is something on your desktop that is corrupt, so as soon as the Finder tries to generate the icon preview it crashes, resulting in the loop.

If you have another account on the machine, the best thing to do is log into that account, go to the problem user's Desktop folder, and move everything there into a separate folder. That will hopefully let you log into the problem user properly and sort through there to figure out what the issue is.

If you don't have another user on the machine you may still be able to create one if you can get System Preferences to open; since the Dock is probably displaying, you may be able to launch another program that way, and from there get to the Apple menu and System Prefs. You may be able to use Spotlight in the top right corner to launch an app as well--I think that isn't tied to the Finder.

You can, alternately, use a terminal window, if you can get that open (or Single User Mode) if you're familiar at all with a command line, but if not that's going to be pretty scary to deal with.

The other possibility is a corrupt Finder preferences file, which you'd address by deleting it.

This Hint has a couple of alternate suggestions:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060308010111601

..and a Google search for Finder Crash Loop will give alternate tutorials.

5. bgioiello thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but i can't even navigate on the desktop it flashes so fast.