Mac mini for dedicated win7 security dvr

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by InsideTJ, Jun 13, 2013.

1. InsideTJ macrumors regular

I've been going round and round with some people on the blue iris forums about this topic, so I thought I'd ask for a sanity check on my thinking.

Blue iris is a great windows dvr security app. With multiple megapixel ip cams, the processor requirements are pretty hefty. I'm running BI currently on a 700w gaming rig, an amd x6 with very good benchmark ratings. I can run 6 1mp cams with about 20% processor utilization. It runs fine most of the time, but the 2 year old PC will randomly blue screen. I'm tired of trying to diagnose it, and I don't like the tower size, noise, firm factor, and power consumption.

My thought is to get a mini and bootcamp into win 7 for this headless dvr dedicated use. The mini i7 seems to have comparable benchmarks, and the i5 would probably work fine.

Most BI users think it is crazy to get a mini for a windows 'closet machine' for this use. But they are specing out $800+ home built machines to run theirs, to me, a mini would be perfect.

Am I crazy for thinking this way? It's about the same money for a Mac, is low power and small.

2. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

The I7 Mac Mini is $799. Parallels 8 is $80. A full blown Windows OS is $90 (use the system builder)

Sounds like $970 to me without a RAM upgrade...

You might look at B & H Photo - a I7 Mac Mini is $775 and they give you Parallels 8 for free (and AppleCare is like $54 if you buy it at the same time). Brings the price to $865...

Good luck!