Mac mini for DVR?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bking1000, May 24, 2016.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Elgato no longer sells/supports EyeTV One. They sold it to a German company, and I can't seem to get it to work, even though I've paid them for a renewal.

Are there any other options for turning my media center mini (2010) into a DVR?

If not, can any one recommend a DVR for someone without Cable TV (or Dish -- just an antenna)

2. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

It's been a long time since I last watched any TV on my Macs, but I think the HDHomeRun devices have native support for OS X.

In terms of software, products like Kodi or MythTV support OS X (and work with HDHomeRun hardware).

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You can also get "non-connected", stand-alone DVR devices such as the Homeworx or iView that work with an external USB drive.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I tried to get MythTV installed and failed. It is really meant for Linux, and installing it on OS X is nontrivial. I gave up. Even if I had managed to get it working, I bet that keeping it up to date would have been a hobby unto itself.

Kodi seems to be the main software people are using today. That's what I would try if I were to do it again today.