Mac Mini For Gaming

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by degucom17, Aug 21, 2011.

1. degucom17 macrumors newbie

So I was wondering, would the mid level mac mini with a discrete GPU be able to run some middle of the line gaming? I was thinking of getting it for gaming, while installing windows 7 for bootcamp. I was wondering if it would be able to handle Crysis 2 at medium, Left 4 Dead 2 on high, and most average games on Medium. I want to keep the overall form factor and reliability of macs, but do not want an imac due to the fact that I am writing this on the 2009 imac. I already have a keyboard and mouse and monitor, I just want some advice.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, you should be fine as long as you have reasonable expectations on what you can do on it. I game all the time on my 2011 MBP 15" with the AMD 6490 graphics and it works ok at lower resolutions and settings.

3. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I have the entry level 2011 Mini and I'm surprised at how well it runs games. Granted, the only games I've tried are Call of Duty 2 and Prey but they both ran pretty well. This is also on Lion, no Windows 7.

I haven't maxed out either but I had both running at about 80% and I didn't see a single issue. As a previous Xbox 360 only gamer, my Mini just might make me play more computer games.

4. degucom17 thread starter macrumors newbie

DO you know if the upgrade from i5 to i7 is worth it? Also how well can this run new games

5. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I can play the orange box on graphics all the way up, except like anti-allising and MPAA but the texture and everything else all the way up. Also Left 4 Dead 2 runs pretty much on full graphics. Star Craft 2 plays on High. I'm not running on windows either but you would get even better performance.

6. gregorsamsa macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    Some HD 6630M benchmarks, inc. for Crysis 2 & other games, though with inferior DDR3 VRAM compared to Mini's GDDR5:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6630M

Crysis 2 running on Mac Mini with HD 3000 integrated graphics & only 2GB RAM, so you'd probably get very decent FPS at medium settings on Mini with discrete HD 6630M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVrWNXlMvac>