Mac Mini for gaming

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macuser154, Sep 18, 2009.

1. macuser154 macrumors 6502

How well would a current generation Mac Mini cope with modern games on a 1080P TV? I don't need the games to run on full graphics, I would just like them to look crisp on the display. So preferably I would like to run the games at 1920x1080, even on the lowest settings. I know I could build a gaming machine for the same price as a Mini, but the size of the Mini is a huge plus point.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on games you want to play. Games like Crysis and GTA IV won't run but CoD4 etc. will run at low to med settings. If gaming is the only thing you need Mini, get a PC or console

3. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

I Agree With Hellhammer A Mini Wud Be A Waste Of Money On Gaming Get A 360 Or A Ps3

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You can build a PC that's just as quiet as a mini, and better spec'd for less then a mini. Plus, it'll run Windows natively, so you don't have to worry about Apple's crap windows drivers.

5. mknapper1 macrumors newbie

you can get an xbox 360 for $200 new or even as low as $120 on craigslist and your gaming experience would be so much better on a dedicated console anyway... or if you are also wanting to be able to browse the web get an older ps3 that is able to load mmmmm (not sure if i should say this word) linux

6. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

The Mini wouldn't just be used for games. It would be used as a media centre. For media and Windows-only games.

As I have mentioned, the size of the Mini is a huge plus point, building a large Windows machine doesn't sound like an attractive solution. But I will look into it. Thanks.

7. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 360 and a PS3, the Mini would be used for Windows-only games, and media.

8. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

tried it once, not recommended. save your money for a imac and dual screen with the TV you were going to use with the mini.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For the same money, you can build a computer that's a few folds better than the Mac mini for gaming.

10. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Again, if you gave us an idea on the games you wanted to play, we might be able to respond better. Most modern shader heavy games will NOT run well on the 9400M gpu.

11. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Half-Life 2 Orange Box runs fine on my mini. And to be honest i'm happy with that and probably will be until HL3 comes out. Now If I could get a nice joystick I'd installed Flight Sim 2002!

(Got a great MS Sidewinder force feedback stick, but it's gameport only)