Mac Mini for graphic design during school.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by SnackeyG, May 8, 2012.

1. SnackeyG macrumors newbie

I'm going to school this fall for graphic design and I can't afford an iMac.

Anyway. Will the cheapest Mac Mini work well for use with mostly just Photoshop?

I don't want to waste the money if it won't. Also would a 720p 42" plasma tv be any good as a monitor? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I don't have a lot of money to work with and it's what I have right now.

Thanks for any help. Also since I'm starting in August I might be able to wait for a refresh.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah, the base will do great. You'll want to upgrade the RAM though..4GB at least, but 8GB is $40 or less these days from Newegg or Amazon. The TV will do alright as a monitor..you might find it a bit hard to read for long periods of time though.

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

No, that TV will be absolutely horrendous for a monitor. First off, it's a plasma. Those can NOT be used as monitors due to burn in, and no, I don't care how much "burn-in protection" your TV has.

Secondly, it's 720P. Really? No, no, no. A 19" 1080P Sceptre monitor would be better than a 42" 720P Plasma.

4. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I work as a graphic designer, you'll be fine, just upgrade the RAM.

I just got a mini last week to replace my iMac of 7 years. Also got a nice dell monitor for $127. I work out of an office and just do an occasional freelance job at home.

Not sure where you're going, but when I was in school half a dozen years ago I (and my classmates) did all of our work during class time and lab hours. You might check into that and wait to see if you're even going to need a computer for work at home.

Good luck!

Allison

5. SnackeyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. And thanks to everyone else(especially the burn in reminder I didn't think of that).

I'll be sure to ask that tomorrow since I have my program orientation.

As for a monitor, I'll get that figured out when the time comes. I'm asking for the worst of financial situations over the best. I want to avoid having to drive to school for homework. An iPad is only maybe ok for papers.

6. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Check out their computer lab while you save. Especially since you'll be new, there will be some friendships made there.

7. earwax69 macrumors member

If your so short on cash, you might want to consider going with a pc. A simple i5 built with 8gb of ram will get you pretty far and save you enough money to buy a Dell monitor. You can post in the cgtalk.com technical section and people will help you build it from scratch, telling you wich parts are good.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23