Mac mini for graphics; disk question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iDave, Aug 13, 2008.

1. iDave macrumors 6502a

We just had an old Power Mac die in our graphics department. We're on a very tight budget and I've decided the best replacement will be a new or refurbished Mac mini, rather than a less powerful old tower via eBay for about the same price. (Used Mac prices are ridiculously high.)

We don't do a lot of high end graphics, so my question isn't about speed or power. What I want opinions on is whether the 2.5 inch drive in the mini is suitable for running all day, every day, or whether it would be smarter/safer to boot and run from an external 3.5" Firewire drive.

Have considered upgrading the drive that will come in the mini to a 7200 rpm 250GB drive, or buying an external Firewire drive for about the same price instead. Any thoughts?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

My benchmark testing indicates that the internal 5400rpm SATA drive outperforms a FW 7200rpm/32mb cache drive in almost every test. That FW400 port just can't keep up with the 1.5 mbps SATA.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

We run a Mini G4 24/7 as a database server. Its longest uptime was 265 days, and then it was only rebooted after a power outage.

4. iDave thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Is the 2.5" drive any more prone to failure than a 3.5" drive, do you think?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I've never had a 2.5" drive fail, but I've had two 3.5" drives fail (both WD, at 3 year and 11 months).

6. negatv1 macrumors 6502

I just installed a Western Digital 7200rpm 2.5inch drive in my Mac Mini. The benchmarks are faster than a (older) 3.5 inch 250gb Seagate I had laying around (connected via SATA). Fast enough for me, and no external boxes hanging off the Mac Mini is great.