Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazerbrains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
I am looking into setting up a Mac Mini in our conference room to mainly use for group Skype calls, but am unsure if I should spring for the better graphics card, or will the Intel embedded graphics be fine. I am not sure how much Skype relies on a graphics card.

I would prefer to spend less, but if it is going to make it harder for me to do group video conference calls, then I will get the better one. ANyoe have any experience with this?

lazerbrains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
It's going to depend a lot more on your network connection, and the network connection of those you are conferencing with.

So do you think the Intel GPU will be sufficient. We have 20Mbps download speed, so our end should be sufficient. I understand that other participants speed will matter, but will the GPU make nay difference at all.

lickitysplit

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
So do you think the Intel GPU will be sufficient. We have 20Mbps download speed, so our end should be sufficient. I understand that other participants speed will matter, but will the GPU make nay difference at all.

I would imagine so because I'm able to play blurays at 1080p on a TV with no issues. Are you going to have multiple displays plugged in?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

You realize that download is only half the battle tho right? Most ISP's give you a ton of Download bandwidth but very little upload. For example, I get 20mbps down but less than 1mbps up.... For video conferencing you really need both.

lazerbrains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
I would imagine so because I'm able to play blurays at 1080p on a TV with no issues. Are you going to have multiple displays plugged in?

No, we will be plugged into one display, but there will be multiple Skype videos going on at once. As we will be using Skype premium, and Group Skype calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.