Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmanpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Will a Mac Mini be able to play HD video (quicktime) off the hard drive to a data projector or plasma tv? this is for a kiosk style setup, so this is the only function the computer will have.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Are you talking a new, intel mini? Or a g4 mini,:confused:

there's a big difference in graphics ablilities, and processor speed. What I'm getting at is my g4 couldn't handle thaT task very well at all. I have trouble playing QT HD straight to my 17" lcd monitor.:(

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Will a Mac Mini be able to play HD video (quicktime) off the hard drive to a data projector or plasma tv? this is for a kiosk style setup, so this is the only function the computer will have.
People do this all the time. The Mac mini has a DVI graphics port. If your plasma display has a DVI port, then you should have no problems.

oldmanpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
thanks -

this will be a newly purchased Mac Mini, so it would be the new Intel Mini...

the monitor or projector for this project will have dvi in.

we hope to be able to switch between a number of videos -i am working on a solution in applescript that will open the selected video (selected via a custom kiosk interface) and then close it when playback is complete. just needed to know if the mac mini will indeed play back an HD QT vid without trouble...

will the lower end mini work, or would we need the high end one?

this is the only thing the machine will be doing

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Define HD.

What resolution and codec do you plan to use?

The mini might have some issues with 1080p/60 depending on the codec. It should do fine with anything else if it's like my iMac.

B

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Define HD.

What resolution and codec do you plan to use?

The mini might have some issues with 1080p/60 depending on the codec. It should do fine with anything else if it's like my iMac.

B
The limiting factor is not the Mac. A 42 inch plasma display can do no better than 720p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.