mac mini for home theater questions

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mania, Apr 9, 2007.

1. mania macrumors member

so, its not clear to me if the optical audio output will do 5 channel sound supposing apples DVD player supports it?

what should I look for in the amp/reciever? it says on apple site some receivers need toslink adapter which implies some don't? i am kinda looking for a small amp - everything seems to be massive. why cant home amps be the size of car amps?

i am actually ok with just stereo sound as this will mostly be for music and occasional movies from dvd. we have no cable so i wont even use a tv - just a lcd monitor will be dandy.

now the other thing: the dang buyers guide here says DONT BUY FOOL. well crap there is no indication that these things are coming out in the next month and I really need this (for my business actually the home thing is secondary).

many thanks for any opinions. peace yall.

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

How about a AppleTV instead of a Mini for home theatre?

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The :apple: TV is not far enough along yet. I myself like the idea of watching TV, quickly checking email, watching a movie that is not in iTunes, etc. etc.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you really need it, then buy one. Just make peace with the fact that Apple may update them any day. Unfortunately, nobody knows when. :(

5. JAT macrumors 603

Some thoughts

-Yes, it supports 5.1 if the software does. Make sure you use software that does, like DVD Player, and not QT.
    -Yes, you need an adapter because the Mini has the mini-Toslink like most Macs. You can get this bundled with some optical wires (not many), or just buy it separately. Try monoprice.com.
    -Yes, the iTV sucks if you like HD, don't be swayed by its weird supporters denying facts.
    -Just use some computer speakers if you don't care about the sound quality.
    -The Mini is quite capable of HT use right now. Why does it matter if they update it tomorrow or 6 months from now? In fact, HT use ought to be the killer app for the Mini.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Mines hooked up to my sony xbr and it is a great thing to have. Pair it with a bluetooth mouse/keyboard and you're set.

The toslink is just an odd attachment that they make for optical audio. Buy the regular optical audio cable and radioshack sells the toslink adaptors for 2 bucks.

Also the mini has DVI out. Most TV's now have HDMI, but for 35 bucks you can pick up an HDMI to DVI converter or just purchase a DVI to HDMI cord.

Just remember that 5.1 has to be switched on in idvd when watching a movie.

If you are concerned about buying one and a new one coming out, buy refurbished!

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, it sends a 5.1 signal, provided your media has it and you use the appropriate software (e.g., DVD Player).

Here's my setup.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Don't buy a HDMI/DVI adapter for $35 ... that's way too much money. Heck, you could buy a 25 ft HDMI/DVI cable for that kind of money.

Check monoprice.com if you're interested in saving some money.

ft

EDIT - actually, $35 buys you a 25 ft cable. An adapter will cost you $5.

9. mania thread starter macrumors member

Dude thats a sweet setup. And I live in Durango (very nice San Juan shots also from your site).

And thanks to everyone else here as well.