Mac Mini for less than $549?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdmlight, Dec 9, 2009.

1. jdmlight macrumors regular

Last Christmas, I decided to build a PC to see what it was like (gain some hardware experience, also just to say that I've done it). Needless to say, after a year of the stark contrast of "dealing with" Windows and "using" my MacBook Pro, I'm done with Windows. I don't want to be bothered going Hackintosh, too much hassle to get a mostly-working system.

So now I am looking to replace my PC tower with a Mac Mini. I'm in college, so I get the education discount. Does anyone know of a better price than $549 for the Mac Mini? I don't mind if it's used or refurbished (if it breaks I have no issues opening it up and fixing it), but I'd like one with FW800, which, unfortunately, limits me to one of the two latest revisions (early or late 2009). I've been watching Apple's refurbished page and Mac minis rarely seem to pop up...

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

you gotta watch a lot -- this was up there a week ago for $430:

Core 2 Duo 2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 120GB hard drive, two video interfaces (Mini DisplayPort and mini-DVI), five USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 800, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics, Gigabit Ethernet, AirPort Extreme wireless and Bluetooth, and dual layer SuperDrive.

4. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Actually I find the mac minis pop up on thursdays in the refurb dept.

5. solchitlins macrumors regular

2.26ghz cpu will show up eventually it will be 1gb ram and a 120gb hdd. it will list for 449.

add some ram and upgrade the hard drive yourself.

I would tell you when I think the best time for this to pop up into the refurbished area is but I have been trying for 2 weeks now.
    lol
    they sell so fast.....

the longer I wait the closer I get to pulling the trigger on a new 21.5" imac

6. hndn macrumors regular

I got mine refurb. 429 two weeks ago. Yesterday Macsales had a "garage sale," I ordered a pair of 1GB ddr3 for 7.99 each :D = $445 cost of my mac mini.

Quantity: 2 APL85HYNDR3S1GB, $7.99 each
    (*) 1.0GB (1024MB) Apple/Hynix Factory Original PC8500 DDR3 204 Pin SO-DIMM *Upgrade 2009 Mac mini stock with 1GB DDR3 to 2GB, add 2GB (Buy 2 x 1GBs) to the latest 4-slot iMac Oct/2009 Models! *Apple OEM System Pull*, OWC Tested, 1 Year OWC Warranty.

7. apatel87 macrumors regular

I just bought mine about 2 weeks ago. I got the new late 2009 model for $520 shipped brand new with no tax. It was for around $580 and Bing had 10% cashback. If you are familiar with Bing's cashback program you can save a fair bit of money at times. It is ironic how Microsoft helped me with a getting a Mac mini. Not having to pay tax can save people a good amount. I think the cashback rate has gone down for B&H photo (where I bought it from) but we might see increased rates as we approach the holiday season. Keep an eye out.

8. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

So it looks like I just need to keep watching Apple's refurbished page. Link added to my Update Scanner (a fantastic plugin for Firefox that does exactly what the title suggests).

I am familiar with Bing cashback - I used it to get 8% cashback at Tigerdirect on the monitor I'm looking at right now :D. I'll look and see, dunno that Bing's cashback will beat $549 - unless they have a special where an electronics store has >10% cash back. (which they could do with the holidays approaching)

9. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

Hooray! I watched Apple's refurbished page and got a current-gen Mini for $499 today. Thanks all!

10. hndn macrumors regular

hhmm...I didn't realized that the mac mini already has 1 stick of 1GB, so I'll have an extra one :)

11. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

congratulations! you got a good deal...enjoy your new mac :)

12. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I'll certainly enjoy it more than the PC it is replacing...:D:D:D:apple: