Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
Hello forum.

So I'm going to be attending college soon for a digital media course and one of the components of the course is sound design. The college is an all-mac environment and they'll be using Logic Pro and Garage band. I had a MacBook back in 2010 and I found Garage Band to be quite good for doing sound design, and honestly I have never found a sound program as easy to use and functional for PC.

Anyways, I'm pretty much a 90% PC kinda guy. Its nothing really against Mac I just do a lot of stuff that requires hardware more powerful than what Apple has to offer. But I do want to get a Mac of my own for doing my own sound design work, but I don't want to spend 1500$+ on an iMac.

Would the baseline Mac Mini with the 1.4Ghz i5 and 8GB of RAM be sufficient to run Logic Pro X? Should I go up a tier and get the 2.6Ghz? Will 8GB of RAM last a while, or should I get 16GB? Does the Mini have user replaceable SODIMMs or did they move to soldered chips?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
It seems ok for base 1.4Ghz since there is no mention of CPU in the minimum requirement.
http://www.apple.com/sg/logic-pro/specs/

If you are getting the 2.6ghz, 16gb ram and don't have a display, its probably better to buy an iMac which also comes with Apple keyboard and mouse.

Mac mini 2014 does not have user replaceable sodimm.

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
The base iMac has a weaker CPU and costs 550$ more than the mid-tier Mini. I could easilly get a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and still be 300$ under the cost of an iMac and end up with a better setup.

I figured the RAM would be soldered. I don't know why they bothered though since my mothers previous gen Mini had 2 SODIMM slots.

I'll probably get a mid-tier Mini since I feel like the 1.4Ghz will become obsolete pretty fast.

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
The 1.4ghz with 8gb of ram should be fine but you should get a fusion drive or upgrade to an ssd because Mac OS feels slow on hard drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.