Mac Mini for mobile dev

ald0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2019
I have to equip myself to work on iOS. So I need a Mac that can accept the latest version Mac OS (Catalina) and Xcode (11).

As I have not much money and as I need a nomadic and upgradable solution, I think to buy a Mac Mini.

I would like to know your advice for buying a mac mini adapted to my needs : work on Xcode on "simple" iOS mobile apps (no games nor 3D).

I guess I'll need 16GB Ram and a 256GB SSD.

Is the purchase of a 2018 model necessary or can I consider buying a 2014 model that I will customize with ram and ssd ?

If I select a 2018 model, should I buy only a i5 or can I select a i3 ?

I thank you in advance

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
Xcode 11 doesn't scream on my '17 15" MBP so I probably wouldn't try it on the '14 mini. I would look into a 21.5" iMac as well because I find the Retina display handy because all iOS devices have retina displays.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Xcode runs fine on my 2014 Mini. I only have 8GB of memory, so if I was going to do something a little more heavyweight, I'd want to upgrade the machine (Apple made the unbelievable decision to make the memory soldered in on this machine). I did upgrade the HDD to a 1TB SSD, and the machine feels really quick. It's no speed demon, but if you can find one in a configuration you like and the price is right, it will work for your needs.

ald0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2019
Thanks for your advise !

I think, my bestion option would be the Mac Mini 2018 i5, SSD 256go, Ram 16go... but it is expensive :(

If I can find an intermediate version at first, it suits me

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I've had several refurbished Macs, and they all looked and operated like new. It's definitely a great way to go to save a few bucks.