Mac Mini for my media center

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by joeholl1979, Feb 15, 2014.

1. joeholl1979 macrumors member

I'm sure people have posted a hundred different things about using a Mac Mini for a media center PC, but I want some opinions on what I plan on doing.

I have ordered an HDHomeRun Prime device and, once it arrives, I plan on pairing it with EyeTV's software and using it to replace my cable company's lame DVR. I'll test this setup on my iMac for a week or so before I ditch the DVR.

If all goes well with that, I'd like to buy a Mac Mini, connect it to my 40" LCD television via HDMI, and stream the cable service to it from the HDHomeRun.

I don't have a surround sound system; I just want to continue using the TV speakers.

I also want to play Netfix and rent/buy/watch movies from iTunes.

The main thing that I can't stop pondering is how I can easily navigate between EyeTv, Netflix (which I assume will have to run through Safari) and iTunes without using a keyboard. I'd prefer to use an Apple Remote for everything like on an Apple TV.

Has anyone else on here used a Mac Mini for a DVR like this? Is everything running at 1080p? How about my conundrum about switching between these apps?

2. blanka macrumors 68000

Don't bother, just throw a mouse under your TV. If you have a lazy ass, you must get off the couch for beers, nuts, tea and pee.

3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

If you use XBMC, there's a remote app for iPhone you can use. You could also use Mobile Air Mouse.

4. tallpaul macrumors member

I've a 2011 Mini with 8Gb and 2x2Tb samsung drives, I've found a trackpad to be a superb remote for navigating iTunes and Sky Tv via Safari