Mac mini for video editing.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iTookTheByte, Jul 28, 2011.

1. iTookTheByte macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2011
    Hey all! With the recent refresh of the Mac minis, they seem to be the perfect machines for me. But, I do quite a lot of video editing ( iMovie, hopefully upgrading to FCPX), and I am not sure which model to get. I have shown interest in the model with discrete graphics, and the server model. I plan to upgrade to 8 gb of RAM on whatever model I get, and eventually an SSD to boot off of. So, which model would be better for me? Thanks.
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    As the GPU is not as important as the CPU during editing, though FCP X is different a bit in that regard, as it also uses the GPU, I would go with the i7 quad core model.
    Btw, don't get RAM from Apple, but from Newegg or Amazon or OWC, as 8GB of 204-pin DDR SO-DIMM 1333MHz RAM is cheaper than 100€.
  3. iTookTheByte thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2011

Thanks! I actually was not planning on getting RAM form Apple, I want some from OWC.
  4. indg macrumors 6502

Feb 7, 2007
    i have the i7 mini server with 8gb ram, raid-0 hdd, and fcpx runs fine for me. i'd go with a quad core over the dual for strictly video editing, especially for hd resolutions. a quad-core i7 + fast storage (raid-0 or ssd) will be better than dual-core + discrete gpu + slow hdd. the gpu won't come into play much unless you plan to do a lot of motion graphics with after effects or apple motion.
  5. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Jun 16, 2009
  6. iTookTheByte thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2011
    Thanks for the input! I figured that the Quad would be the best for video editing. And regarding the GPU, I really do hope a manufacturer will develop an external GPU for thunderbolt, that would be great!
  7. iTookTheByte thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2011
    I actually am considering this option, but I plan to upgrade to an SSD eventually an any model I get.
  8. bigcreek macrumors member

Apr 23, 2004
    I asked the same question in another thread regarding 4 core vs. GPU. I think the jury is out until someone does real testing with video editing software