Mac mini freezes after Lion update?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Mr.Abe90, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Mr.Abe90 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

About a week after updating my system to Lion my Mac mini began to randomly freeze even when no programs were active. I've looked online and the differance between everyone else's problems and mine is than my freeze will happen at any time even when starting up or while the computer is asleep. Also I can't move the cursor no light will show up on the caps key. I've tried starting up into startup mode, repairing disk permissions neither worked. Anything I can do? Also I have no startup disk.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Did you mean you started it up in "Safe Mode"? Try resetting PRAM and the SMC. Did you do a clean install of Lion? If not, you might want to consider doing that. By the way, which Mac-Mini do you have? I am going to do a clean install of Lion on my 2009 Mac-Mini this weekend.

3. Mr.Abe90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, Safe Mode. And it is a Mac mini 2010, with snow leopard updated to Lion through the Mac App Store. And with a clean install can I just load my data back on with a time machine backup from an external HD?

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Yes you can load your data back from the time machine after the clean install of Lion.

5. Mr.Abe90, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

Mr.Abe90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the clean install of lion mean I have to pay for it again if I didn't buy a disk? I just downloaded it off the Mac App Store (as I said)

6. franrisquez macrumors newbie

Mac Mini Freezes with Lion

Dear all, this is happening to me, at least 2 to 3 times a day, with no reason, at any time, with external hard drives plugged (directly or through AEBSn), without anything additional connected, through HDMI or DVI connection, you name it. The thing is brand new (Mac Mini 2011). It's very worrisome, I have just ditched my HP Slimline desktop (which never froze ...) and have not been able to make this work correctly. It is supposed to just work (it doesn't). What can I do? Unfortunately, I bought it in Amazon and live abroad, so returning it is kind of difficult. PLEASE HELP!

7. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Have you tried to contact Apple? It could be a hardware problem.

8. Mr.Abe90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, again. I know this is a very old thread, but I am still having this problem. I've done several fresh installs of lion. And also took it to the genius bar. Both with no luck. When I brought it to the Apple Store they could not even run a diagnostics check on it because it froze up during startup. They said that the problem was possibly bad RAM or a broken Logic board. I put the original RAM back in and still it froze. Since I brought it to the Apple Store i've been able to startup the computer with no freezes for about 5 mins (I have no idea why). I still have no idea what's wrong with it. So im thinking now since it starts up i'll bring it back to the Apple Store to get a proper diagnoses. Although i'm afraid they'll just say the same thing broken logic board. Also, whenever I try to run the Apple hardware test, my mac just ejects the disk and continues on. Any help there? Thanks!

9. cMacSW macrumors regular

Try running disk repair, this cleaned up some issues for me.