Mac Mini freezes up, even on Force Quit and on Reboot

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Whodaddy61, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Whodaddy61 macrumors newbie

My Mac mini freezes up and will not let me do anything. I tried restarting-didn't work,still got same freeze issue. Same with Command Option Escape. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Did you by any chance change the RAM that came from the factory?

3. Whodaddy61 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it was factory fresh. Just a few months old. Ido believe I may have a virus. Is t

Is there a way to run in safe mode like in PC's"?

4. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Yes. As soon as the startup bong sounds, press and hold shift until the Apple logo appears.

5. Alroxas macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same with my Mac Mini (Model MC815LL) as well.

Originally, apps would just freeze (spinning pinwheel of death) including Finder so I tried booting to safe mode and repaired directories which seemed to work ok for a few days but now it's still freezing up.

Also when running more intensive apps like Netflix, I can get like maybe 10~15 minutes of video before the entire system crashes (frozen screen, noise for sound) and forces me to do a reboot.

Before that crash happened, I checked and saw that I was only using 10% of the HD (500 GB hard drive, only 50 GB used), plenty of RAM (8 GB in a 2x4GB configuration).

I'm now considering doing a clean install of Maverick to see if that won't help. But any other tips, I would really appreciate.