Mac mini freezes while playing World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Arv3n, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Arv3n macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a strange issue with World of Warcraft where it will randomly freeze the whole computer and I can only hold down the power button to get it to work again. This only happens with World of Warcraft. I feel the computer immediately after it freezes and it's pretty warm but it doesn't feel warm enough to freeze the computer.

I have tried reinstalling OS X, re-downloading World of Warcraft, and repairing permissions and nothing has fixed it. Is this just a bug with WoW? Does anyone else have this issue?

I have the mid-2011 Mac mini with 8GB ram, i5 2.3ghz processor, and stock 500GB hard drive.

2. xVeinx macrumors 6502

Is it the base mini (aka, no AMD 6630 graphics)? When you say that nothing else does it, do you have other games that you play? What games?

3. Arv3n thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is the base mini. I've played Diablo 3 for a bit and it doesn't freeze at all.

4. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I also have the base mini and run WoW perfectly fine on Good settings, what settings you got it on?

5. Arv3n thread starter macrumors newbie

The default video settings.

Here is what Blizzard told me when I contacted them today:

Anyone have any advice? I am not under warranty or anything as I bought this Mac mini refurbished from macofalltrades.com.

6. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Maybe go back to who you bought your mini off and see what they say? Otherwise it can't hurt to give apple a call and see if they have any advice? Or go into a store, can't imagine they charge for advice lol.

7. Arv3n thread starter macrumors newbie

so the issue persisted, and I talked to Blizzard tech support and they told me to use smcfancontrol as, after looking at the logs, it appeared my computer was overheating.

Is this normal for a Mac mini? I thought for sure it would never get that hot. I guess Macs truly aren't designed to game.