Mac mini FTP server?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by cslmac, Jun 11, 2010.

1. cslmac macrumors newbie

Hi, i am new here but i have been wanting to turn my mac into a server, or make it possible to connect to it and the hard drives connected to it, anywhere. is this possible? I would like this for school as well as for my family and friends.
    i have a lot of movies and things of that nature that are on my mac mini or the hard drive connected to it, that i need. and most of the time when i need the files i am not on my home network. i tried macinstructs thing about the turning my mac into an FTP server. but it didnt work. please if anyone can help with a how to or a link to somewhere that has a how to i would greatly appreciate it.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

This isn't really my territory (have no idea about server and FTP stuff) but FileZilla seems to be good client and they have decent instructions in their site (just took a quick look). I'm sure someone can give you step by step instructions

3. cslmac thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome thank you. and this should allow me to access everything including the external hard drives?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

External hard drives are just normal HDs in enclosure using different interface so they should work fine

5. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

The FTP server built into OS X is pretty decent, does everything you want it to.

On connected cd to /Volumes. All connected drives appear in this folder.

6. cslmac thread starter macrumors newbie

the only thing is i want to be able to connect to it anywhere. it seems like everything i have tried makes it possible to connect while i am on the same network but i am needing to be able to connect to it while at school work or different states. will pureftpd do this for me?