Mac Mini G4 as gaming console?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Sep 26, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hi PPC Forum!

I was just playing some classic NES and SNES games on my PowerMac last night and having a blast! So I was wondering if finding a Mac mini G4 1.25GHz+ and loading these games and other emulators on there would be a good idea. The reason I started thinking of this is because they played pretty well and didn't take up many resources. So I thought that I could get a smaller HDTV and connect the mini to it via the VGA port and just have an awesome classic gaming console. Is there something I'm missing that makes this a dumb idea?

I know in other posts I have said that funds aren't optimal right now, but this isn't an idea for the near future, just an idea for later on down the line for classic gaming awesomeness.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A G4 Mini should do fine for that. But other computer gaming, the G4 Mini is one of the worst G4's. It's GPU is the least powerful of the G4 lineup. But for simple emulators it should work well.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

That's great to hear. I have ATARI 2600, 5200, NES, and SNES emulators at the moment and just having a blast with them. I had forgotten about the "gotcha HUMANOID" in Berserk. It's awesome.

4. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Yeah, I think your Mini will do well with this. I've played SNES games on far less. Even my PM9600 with a 500MHz G3 upgrade was more than enough. The minimum requirements for CVGS (PS1 games) was only a 233MHz iMac. I think it would even run on a 604e with a little tinkering.

I like dedicated consoles for modern gaming, but emulators can provide a great classic gaming experience.

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Would be great, as long as you can get a controller working wit hit.

Tho, for around the same money, assuming you get a really nice mini. You could just buy an FC Twin that does SNES and NES and a 2600 ;)

6. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Add may be some Game boy games :D

7. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

hmm, I wonder if they even have those emulators available. I'll check! How awesome would that be to have an awesome retro rig?

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I built a retro gaming PC out of a Raspberry Pi. A little more effort to setup, but a lot cheaper.

9. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Sheesh. I should pull out my 400MHz B&W G3 and play some games on it!

10. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Yes you should! It's awesome!!! And the funny thing is that my wife didn't really care too much about the PS3 games(when we still had a PS3) but when I showed here these awesome old games, she was more excited than I expected. It's great. SO just need to save for a while and then get a few remotes, maybe 2 Mac mini G4s(one for the adults and one for the kids) and then have retro gaming tournaments(AND still have Macs as well).

11. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I have a 360 and the only reason I have it is for GTA5. Besides that I don't need it and I enjoy playing old games (anyone would :D ). That would be a cool idea. Replace the Xbox with a G4 would be awesome!

12. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Yeah it would. The one thing that I didn't check though was whether or not game progress could be saved within these emulators. It would suck to start playing Zelda and then have to start over again later.

13. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Snes9X can save at any point and pick up later exactly where you left off.

14. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Just get a raspberry pi and use emulationstation.

15. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I agree that the Raspberry Pi is a great platform for emulating old consoles. It's low power consumption and small footprint are the main advantages over a Mac Mini.