Mac Mini G4 benefit of 512MB->1GB RAM

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by turtlebud, Jul 27, 2009.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

Just set my parents up with my sisters old mac mini. It's the 1.42Ghz G4 (silent upgrade to 1.5Ghz) with 512MB RAM. I'm wondering how much benefit they'll see if I upgrade them to the 1GB stick (that's the max that this mini can handle). They mainly do web surfing, word processing, iphoto, and watching the occasional video on the web.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

More RAM will only help when you have used all the existing RAM. This is the case regardless of the computer you own.

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Check Activity Monitor when you're using all of your programs that you'd usually use at once. If you're using any of the Swap, then the upgraded RAM will help. If you're not, it won't be worth it.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

5. turtlebud thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suspect the answer to my question will be yes. I'm not sure how different memory management is in the g4 or mac mini, but I routinely use more than 512MB ram over time surfing the web and I suspect that once you start viewing pictures in iphoto it's going to get close to or over 512MB of RAM.

Thanks for the responses.

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I say DO IT - if its cheap. I have troubles using a mac with 2GB of ram for anything more then surfing and chatting. Not saying it can't be done, just saying I enjoy typically more then 2GB of ram in my Macs.