Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFrankie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2003
Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of procuring a Mac Mini G4 to use as my iTunes source for my new Apple TV.

Does a Mac Mini G4 support the necessary version of iTunes that is compatible with the new Apple TV? Also, does it have enough power to stream the video to the Apple TV?

Thank you.

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
My 1,42GHz PowerPC G4 with 512MB has barely enough power to run 320p vids smoothly. So I'm guessing you might wanna get an Intel one. That way it'll run Snow Leopard as well, so less problems with software not being compatible.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
No issues based on processor speed. Your processing power has nothing to do with streaming the video to AppleTV.

The Mini doesn't play the files, it just serves them up through iTunes. The ATV will be doing all of the heavy liftng.

That being siad, I do not know if the version of iTunes that could run on a G4 would be compatible, THAT is one thing that I can agree with lvlarkkoenen on.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
while not the "best" machine in the world, the G4 can run the latest version of iTunes as it can run Mac OS X 10.5.8, which is the requirement to install iTunes 10.2, so it should at least run the latest version of iTunes (for the next month at least).

Bill.the.Cat

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
I'm thinking of procuring a Mac Mini G4 to use as my iTunes source for my new Apple TV.

You might consider an Apple TV 1st gen as a cheaper alternative to a G4 mini for fileserver duty. They can run 10.5.8 just fine. I have one running Leopard that serves files off of an external USB hard drive. Only cost $50 off eBay, much cheaper than a G4 mini and does the same thing. No problems streaming to a new Apple TV in the living room, though I use XBMC instead of hassling with iTunes.

SdPunk

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I'm new to using a media server, but I can download shows on iTunes on my G4 Mini, and then stream them through my Apple TV2? I currently have both machines. I have Leopard running on the G4. Thanks in advance.

SdPunk

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Anyone have an insight on the question I posed? The G4 had a gig of ram, so I just want to be able to save shows and movies on the G4 Mini and stream them to the ATV 2. Thanks.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Anyone have an insight on the question I posed? The G4 had a gig of ram, so I just want to be able to save shows and movies on the G4 Mini and stream them to the ATV 2. Thanks.

Id try it and see if it works. It technically should as all the G4 would be doing is pumping a file to the ATV, so it should work fine.

SdPunk

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Id try it and see if it works. It technically should as all the G4 would be doing is pumping a file to the ATV, so it should work fine.

Thanks. I am going to. I can't wait to be able to save some movies and shows. :)

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Yes your Mac mini will be fine for this. Just make sure you're running 10.5.8 and you should find that you can install iTunes 10.3.1 on it (I upgraded iTunes on my TiBook which is only 867MHz). As long as you don't try to stream movies over WiFI (its only got 'g' networking), even if your Router is 'n'. Plug it into ethernet.

pac

SdPunk

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Yes your Mac mini will be fine for this. Just make sure you're running 10.5.8 and you should find that you can install iTunes 10.3.1 on it (I upgraded iTunes on my TiBook which is only 867MHz). As long as you don't try to stream movies over WiFI (its only got 'g' networking), even if your Router is 'n'. Plug it into ethernet.

pac

I do have Leopard on the Mini right now, so that is covered. I totally forgot about the "G" only networking. I have an Airport Extreme and run the ATV2 through an ethernet port, so I will do the same with the Mini. Thanks for that, I can't believe I forgot that. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.