Mac mini/Gaming PC or Mac Pro: What would you do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thankins, Nov 9, 2011.

1. thankins macrumors 6502

Here is my situation.

I have a mac mini Quad Core i7 with 2 x 750 GB HDs and 8 GBs of RAM and a gaming PC (Xeon 3.2 GHz, 16 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, GTX 570 HD) or have an option of using a 2010 hex core Mac Pro, 16 GBS RAM, 2 x 2 TB HD and 1 TB HD.

I have 1 LED cinema display and a thunderbolt display that I will be returning for another LED if I decided to use the MacPro

My use is internet, music, and some light gaming (BF3, TF2) and remote work of course for work (RDP, web design and coding)

What would you choose and why?

2. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

i would keep ur current setup for now only because the mac pro is due for a refresh any time now and by ur current situation it doesn't seem like u really need a new machine, i would wait a few months until sandy bridge e comes out the buy the new mac pro

3. Broc27 macrumors member

Personally I had a similar choice to make a few months ago and went with the MacPro. This way I now enjoy a powerful gaming machine (I play the latest games with the AMD 5870) and can still use the full power of the MacPro with all my other applications (Photoshop, Ableton Live, Reason, Lightroom, iMovie etc). It also reduces clutter and trouble, having a single computer for everything.

Of course this is an expensive choice and with a new MacPro possibly coming in early 2012 it may not be the BEST time to buy, unless you go refurbished or used.

4. thankins thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update. I decided to sell my Mac mini and give the gaming PC to a old college buddy.

I am using the hex core Mac Pro and went last night and exchanged the thunderbolt display for another led cinema display. I am now staring at two 27' cinema displays :)

5. robbie12345 macrumors 6502