Mac Mini getting slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBiscuit, Jun 29, 2007.

1. MacBiscuit macrumors member

Hi. First post here though I've been lurking for some time...

I have a 1.4Ghz G4 Mini with 1Mb Ram running 10.4.9. It seems generally much slower and less responsive than the Dell laptop running XP I use for work. Now that's only a Pentium-M 1.7 Ghz so should be broadly comparable.

I'm sure the Mini wasn't always this slow. I'm used to Windows machines slowing down over time and requiring a fresh install, but I didn't think Macs suffered the same fate. Any ideas how I can give my Mini a wake-up call?

I've tried running MacJanitor, clearing down some HD space (running at about 75% capacity now), and I'm running out of ideas. Don't really want to do a clean reinstall if I can help it...

Thanks...

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, 1Mb Ram seem a bit low, so I'll assume it is 1 gig. ;)

Regarding the free harddrive space, did you run the Mini with a nearly full drive for a while before clearing down to the 25%/75% figure, or has the drive usually had at least, say, 10% free space? If the drive have been used much while nearly full, it may very well be fragmented. The utility hfsdebug can be used to check fragmentation status for HFS+ volumes.

Have you checked your startup items, and run Activity Monitor to check system memory and cpu usage? You may be running more applications and processes than you are aware of.

3. MacBiscuit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions!

Installing 1Gb rather than 1Mb has certainly speeded things up. Thought that memory stick was a bit cheap... :)

Now I'll try some of the other ideas and see how I get on...

4. MacBiscuit thread starter macrumors member

After a period of highly scientific experiment :rolleyes:

My Mac certainly seems to have perked up. The thing which really made a difference was clearing down the files in ~\library\caches

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated... :D

5. john2006wright macrumors regular

6. stevo8 macrumors 6502

sorry for my ignorance but what files in caches can be deleted? I dont even know what they are and it asks for a application to open.?

7. macuser9214 macrumors member

Thanks for the guide. I ran most of them and it helped a little. I was hoping it would be fast, but at least it seems more smoother, and not likely for apps to freeze, so thanks

8. MacBiscuit thread starter macrumors member

I just deleted everything in the /caches folder including all subfolders. Of course I didn't actually delete the files, I backed them up onto an external drive in case I broke something. But, touch wood, everything seems to work fine still

9. felixen macrumors 6502a

if I deleted everything in the /caches folder, does that mean all my apps will forget the info I've asked it to remember? Such as when firefox/safari remembers passwords for me, info I've typed into various apps and so on.. Or what is it exactly?