Mac mini getting too hot under normal load?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by HeavyMantra, Aug 1, 2019.

1. HeavyMantra macrumors member

Hi, I have an i7 32gb ram Mac Mini 2018.

When using Logic at 25 percent CPU load, the Mini operates at 90-100 c at the CPU sensors and the fans kick in.

Is this normal?

2. macdos macrumors regular

macdos

Yah, don't worry.

3. LorenK macrumors 6502

Do you have your Mini on its belly? I realize that Apple has tried to address this, but there are aftermarket stands that allow you to place your Mini in a vertical position, so it has better airflow and heat dissipation. After having burnt out my 2010 after only a few months, doesn't seem worth the risk to keep it flat when there is a cheap solution.

4. Tesla1856, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019

Tesla1856 macrumors member

Tesla1856

Sad to hear, but not totally unexpected considering it's design (and your "loaded" config).

Thing is ... I don't think any user would have cared if the Mac-Mini-2018 would have been twice as tall.
    - More reasonable size to cool the higher-configs
    - Power-Supply could have been larger and more robust (would run cooler and have less chances of coil-whine). This is a complete SMPS.

EDIT: MacsFanControl looks like an answer.

5. HeavyMantra thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I agree. Though I'm mostly curious if other users experience the same thing or not. I regret buying this thing for various reasons but now I'm stuck with it. If I get 10 years out of this thing I'll be very satisfied with it. Somehow I feel Apple has changed a lot since I bought my Macbook pro 2009 that lasted 9 years...

6. mmomega macrumors 68040

mmomega

I have 30+ Mini from 2010-the 2018 models, all run 24/7, never turned off and are worked Mon-Thurs 7am-7pm.
    None of the staff have temperature monitoring software on the minis and I never get throttling related issues brought to me.
    No I'm not in your exact niche of use but I just have quite a lot of these things and they do their jobs day in and out and I've never had to replace anything on them.
    I have had a single 2011 model with a graphics issue and that's it.

7. macdos macrumors regular

macdos

That is not going to make a difference, since the fans will adapt. Fans will spin up precisely as much as to keep temp at 100 or below, regardless of load.

OP mentions 25% load, and the OS prioritizes to keep the machine quiet instead of blowing air. Using Handbrake, load will be 100% and it will spike at 100+ W and 100° before settling at 65 W and 99°. Fans could go faster still, but they don't.

8. HeavyMantra thread starter macrumors member

This seems to be the case for me too, didn't make a difference

9. iluvmacs99, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019

iluvmacs99 macrumors regular

I think the Mac Mini was meant to be a desktop computer that does most things adequately well, but with the ability to push its limits once in a while without dying too soon. But I think due to the attractive pricing, people are buying the Minis to do more than what it was meant to do; things like a Mac Pro or an iMac Pro would do better in sustained continuous work without going to the temperature extremes. I mean, there's really no room in the Mini to provide good airflow as it would a Mac Pro or an iMac Pro can. Small space heats up faster than a bigger space with more fans.

I own a Mac Mini 2011 as well as the Macbook Air and had pushed these 2 computers to the brink that both had thermal shutdowns while rendering a few times already. So my solution was actually this year to get a Mac Pro and with this computer, it never shutdown doing the same things that it would with the Mini. Secondly, I removed the base black round cover of the mini and then attached a fan that improves airflow and sucks warm air and pushes it out through the rear external vents. So basically, I have 2 vents (one from the Mini's fan and the other from this external fan). It helped lowered the temperature down to 70˚C where it would go all the way to 90-100˚C before it would shutdown. Same with the Macbook Air with 3 base fans to cool it down while rendering a 4K video. I also use MacsFanControl to customize fan speed for these workloads. I hope to keep both Mini and the Air working a little while longer and I don't think too much heat @ 90˚C to 100˚C over hours and hours of continuous rendering are good for these machines over days, months and year. But they are way more cost effective way to get the jobs done I suppose.

I use Protools with my Mini and even at lighter loads, it would just heat up crazy even when its internal fan just got cleaned and the vents cleaned. Without the external fan setup and the plug-ins I'm running, it would shutdown which increases my frustration especially when you are in the middle of bouncing audio and the whole piece gets corrupted.

10. macdos macrumors regular

macdos

You do realize that people use MM as build and render farms going 100% sustained more or less 24/7? Some company even have thousands of them rack mounted.

MacPro is of course more reliable, so it all comes down to the sweet spot between price/reliability.

11. iluvmacs99 macrumors regular

Yes, but the farms with racks have proper ventilation. Good ventilation and airflow is key to keeping the render farms operating within safety thermal limits. All I'm suggesting is that, people need to be aware that the Mini by itself needs to have good ventilation to keep thermal management under control with 100% sustained usage and done correctly will keep the mini operating safely and reliably at a much lower cost. However, this is not sometimes most people are completely aware of and am sometimes alarmed by the overheating symptoms of the Mini. Mini overheating even at less than 100% load is really nothing new, but how to address it is not often discussed except for those people who use them to operate a render farm or like myself push it beyond its limits because of the price performance factor.

12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

spending most of my life in server rooms , the mac mini would be much better thermally on its own than in a server room , they are temperature controlled and well ventilated but server rooms are always running hot in server racks , most servers are pushing high temps.

that mini would be pegged @ 90C in a server room.