Mac Mini good choice?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MetalGamer09, Oct 26, 2014.

1. MetalGamer09 macrumors member

So I'm a pc user ready to make the switch to Mac. I want a desktop first and will probably pic up a notebook in the future or a ipad. I mostly browse the Internet and a little word processing and light photoshop and light video editing. So my question is will the Mac mini work fine for these things? Or do you think I should step up to the imac?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Mini is good at these things, get 8GB or more RAM.

If you already have displays, keyboards, etc. its the best cost option.

3. MetalGamer09 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I already have a display and keyboard and mouse and it seems like a decent price for a mac. Wanna go with the 8gb of ram. Also curious if it's possible to put a ssd in one of these. If it is I'll just go with the hard drive. If not I'll probably grab the fusion drive.

4. jlxz macrumors newbie

I made the switch almost 6 years ago with a Macmini and I'm still using it.
    If you want to buy a 2014 new model I recommend minimum 8GB RAM and middle model (i5 2,6GHz) if you can afford it. It would very future-proof for the tasks you do and for next OSX versions.
    I think a Macmini is a better option than an iMac. If you don't have a monitor, you can buy a good one with a good resolution for a good price.

5. cynics macrumors G3

For the most part the new Mac Mini is not very user serviceable. I'd suggest buying one in the configuration that you plan on keeping it.

Even the base model will handily do everything you listed you may want to consider more just for a bit of future proofing and give yourself some leeway in case you want it to perform some more strenuous task.

Mind if I ask why you are looking to make this switch from windows machines (assuming since you said PC user)?

6. MetalGamer09 thread starter macrumors member

I guess one of the biggest things that pushed me towards Mac is windows 8. I just hate everything about it. One of my buddies has a mac that I have used a few times here and there and I just love how smoothly everything operates.

7. cinealta macrumors 6502

Congrats! Welcome to Macintosh! You'll see that it's not just a computer but a lifestyle.

I think you'll be fine with a Mac Mini for general usage. As a reference, I've been using a 2009 Mac Mini for web-browsing and word processing. I also edited a 2 hr documentary on it with Final Cut Pro (v9?). It took a little time to render video but worked fine. This is stock with 5400 RPM HDD and 4 Gb RAM. I've now installed Yosemite and it's really fast (especially Safari browser). It does take more time to boot in Yosemite than Snow Leopard (10.6.8) or Mountain Lion (10.8.5) though.

8. MetalGamer09 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It defiantly seems like the Mac mini will do everything I need it to.

9. Altis macrumors 68020

It's a common sentiment. Windows 7 is better than 8, IMO, and 10 is shaping up to be pretty good. Nice thing about a Mac is that you run Windows as well as OS X, if needed.

As for your build, if you're going to get a Mac Mini I would recommend the mid-tier level personally. You get a decent CPU bump over the base model, Intel Iris graphics, and 8 GB of RAM. I don't really see the point in spending much more than that on the '14 Mini as the performance/$ of the i7 doesn't seem too reasonable.

I think with the current i5 vs i7, you'll end up tapping them both out with similar demands (at some point). As such, you'll likely end up having to replace the machine regardless of which chip you get. With that in mind, it might be better to go slightly cheaper and update a little more frequently.

And yes, you can still put in your own SSD.

10. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I must warn you though. You will miss the blunting anger of crashes of your OS. Are you sure you're willing to swap endless fear for peace of mind?

11. loud0g40oz macrumors member

All the Mac is a lifestyle, and peace of mind without windows stuff is crap. It's just a computer, and if you want a stable windows platform just run Win 7 through bootcamp or parallels.

That said, Apple does make nice hardware, and the mini is a solid little machine. I run Win 7 95% of the time on my old MacBook Pro, and now my new mini.

If buying a 2014, buy the mid $699 model and whatever drive you prefer. It's not going to change your life, but it's a cool little computer.

12. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

For what you want to do, and what you have, a Mac Mini is a good choice, and probably all the computer you need. If you do get a notebook and/or an iPad in future, they will integrate to make a convenient system.

It is OS X that makes a Mac. It seems pointless to get a Mac to mainly run Windows.

A Mac comes loaded with all the productivity apps you need to get going, but you can load the likes of Office for Mac, and Lighthouse and other apps, which run on OS X, if you don't like the Apple's Pages, Numbers or iPhoto.

I have owned 2 Mac Minis, the original 2005, and am now using the 2009 model. I don't have Windows installed. I do have Office for Mac installed, but seldom use these days. Pages and Numbers may lack all the features of Word and Excel, but I find them easier to use. They open Office files ok, and can export work as Office documents too.

13. MacGuffin macrumors regular

The 2014 Mini is a mediocre choice for Photoshop and video editing. Go for a quad core 2012 model which will give you significantly better speed in these tasks -- see the benchmarks for yourself.

For all around daily use, it's a nice little box. The main attraction is OS X and, if you are forced to stare at it, the form factor is pleasant enough. Mind, it tends to look a bit different in the real world as opposed to idealized advertisements when it has lots of cables sticking out of it.

Anyone who tells you it's "not a computer...it's...a lifestyle!" may have recently escaped from somewhere.

14. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Perhaps Redmond?

15. MetalGamer09 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I don't plan to run Windows on it unless I really have to. But I don't see a reason to. I really dont want a 2012 I was gonna get the 2014. I know it's now a dual core and not a quad core But I don't want a old computer and I'm sure the 2.6ghz will do everything I need it to. Speed isn't that important to me if it takes a little longer to render a video or something it doesn't mater to me.

16. Altis macrumors 68020

When was the last time you used Windows? 7 has been nothing but stable for me and isn't plagued with problems as it once was, ever such a long time ago. I don't see OP complaining about that, either. Reminds me of Volkswagen owners... they think that they're such premium cars, but that's only because they haven't driven anything else since the 90s. Things change;)

I have, however, had to reinstall Mavericks after a few months on the MBA due to some kind of keychain corruption that couldn't be fixed.

OP, the i5 should do well for what you intend to do -- it's still a fast computer. I would only be concerned about the usable life of any of the 2014s, although they do at least resell quite well, or retire into a media PC / server nicely.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nothing wrong with the choice of mid-level machine.

If you don't plan on getting anything other than the standard machine, Best Buy likely is a good choice for place of purchase.

Especially if you stop at the US Post Office 1st and pick up a "Change of Address Kit" to get your 10% Off coupon for Best Buy.

18. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I can assure you I was using win7 when Word decided to crash on an important document. Believe me I sought through temporary files hoping to retrieve it. Working as a consultant on a deadline Windows forced me to pull an allnighter. So tx but no tx.

19. Altis macrumors 68020

I never said that Office was any good ;) Definitely had all kinds of issues with that, even worse so on the Mac Office (almost as if MS was reluctant to even make it).

A few years ago, I had to stay up all night retyping and editing a paper that got totally corrupted by Word. So I can certainly relate!

Windows 7 seems stable... but MS Office? Well, I've found 2013 to be by far the most stable and reliable, so far... touch wood.

20. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I'm not going back :p

21. loud0g40oz macrumors member

Sure, OSX makes the Mac for many. And it may seem pointless to you to run Windows, but that's also what makes a mini a good machine...the flexibility to do both. All of us have different needs from a computer.

I originally bought a 2010 MBP with the intention of switching to OSX, but I just don't like it. I do however like the product that Apple puts out, as well as the support, and the resale value when it's time to upgrade.

I stick to my statement that the lifestyle comments are crap. What exactly is the "Mac lifestyle"? Hanging out at Starbucks? It's just a computer...not life changing.

22. cinealta macrumors 6502

You just don't get it. It's not something that can be taught. It's a life philosophy. It's an elegant simplicity. Mac users think differently. We create the art that's consumed by billions around the world. We are the rebels. We change the world. We're leaders not followers. You know how many albums are recorded on a Mac? Films edited on a Mac? Books written on a Mac? Science done on a Mac? Students educated on Macs? 3D animated design rendered on a Mac? Apple is a way of life. It is an enlightened state of being.

23. cypriot macrumors regular

OMG

24. majkom macrumors 65816

too much crack?

25. benx1111 macrumors member

I ordered the max hardware for mac mini i7 3.0Ghz 16 gb ram and 256 ssd flash drive. This is the best option if you want good machine for long time, because here can't upgrade anymore.