mac mini got wet now it keeps shutting down.. how to solve the problem?please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Enter123, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Enter123 macrumors newbie

hi
    i need help!!
    i stupidly got my mac mini wet... water ran underneath it. now it seems that every time the mac heats up too much it shuts down.
    how can i fix this??
    please help!
    thank you

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Its highly unlikely you can fix it.

You could try dismantling it and washing the main circuit board in distilled water followed by pure alcohol followed by gently drying, but if the mini has already dried out, or you ran it when it was wet and it dried, its likely the damage is irreparable. I hope you have it backed up.

3. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Yup pretty much screwed. If its the opposite of that I'd get the hair dryer out :)

4. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Just as a note to those fearing this disaster..

I bought a Belkin USB Hub to sit under my mini (Its the same mini shape). cost £5.99 here in the UK from Morgan computers and lifts the mini up by 15mm.

I drink loads of tea, and as my desk is a little wobbly I feared a spillage would see the end of my mini. Now If I spill it, I will most likely just destroy the USB hub.

Yes I could have mounted it on something else, but £6 a couple of USB ports on the front, very handy for me.

Wheaty

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Recommend the distilled water / alcohol / drying route. Worked on a keyboard spill (I eventually replaced the KB anyway).

On a related note, I saved a USB key once by sticking it in a cup of rice and waiting three days for it to dry ... don't know if you want to do that with a motherboard and a sufficient amount of rice though. Of course the first rule is to not turn on the electronics until you are reasonably sure they are dry.