Mac Mini Graphics (?)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by alex.marton, Aug 10, 2015.

1. alex.marton, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

alex.marton macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Hi All,

Am I going crazy or is there a 2011 Mac Mini, with an AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics card? I've been reading on some game forums that there was a Mac Mini with that graphics card. I thought the only graphics card the Mac Mini came with in 2011 was the Intel HD Graphics 3000...

Thanks, Alex.

2. jerwin macrumors 68000

3. alex.marton thread starter macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Thanks for that! :) Do you think it's worth it looking for these models, instead of getting the brand new ones? I'd use this Mac for very light gaming.

4. jerwin macrumors 68000

I've had no experience with the 6630M, sorry.

5. alex.marton thread starter macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Oh okay, thank you! :)

6. richmlow macrumors regular

Hi alex.marton,

Yes, there is such a system...I have one and it runs quite well. =)

Here are my system specs:

Mac Mini (Mid 2011)
    2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6630M (256 MB VRAM)
    OS X El Capitan 10.11 (Public Beta 4)

richmlow

7. richmlow macrumors regular

Hi alex.marton,

What sort of light gaming would you use the Mac Mini for? If you could be a bit more specific, I can give you some additional insight. =)

richmlow

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The current Iris equipped Mac mini's would at least equal the GPU performance of the 6630M. The Iris Pro in my rMBP is quicker then the full-fat 6750M in my old 2011 MBP.

9. alex.marton thread starter macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Thanks. :) The game I would play is The Sims 4 (lol). That is basically the only game I actually play. With all the expansion and stuff packs.

10. alex.marton thread starter macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Thanks. :) I have found a 6630M equipped Mac Mini, for $499. That is literally the price of a brand new one. As you say, it's at least equal the GPU performance of the Iris. Do you think I should just buy a new one?

11. richmlow macrumors regular

Hi alex.marton,

I think that $499 for a 6630M equipped Mac Mini is a bit too expensive. However, the lowest-end new Mac Mini for $499 is not worth it, in my opinion. The lowest-end new Mac Mini is running a 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5 and Intel HD Graphics 5000 (not Intel Iris). =(

Take a look at the technical specs for the current Mac Mini platform for further details:

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

In my opinion, the entire current Mac Mini line is not very compelling. Right now, Apple does not have a good desktop computer lineup. Nowadays, it seems like Apple is much more concerned with making E-toys (phones, tablets, watches, etc.) than robust computing platforms.

If you can find a 6630M equipped Mac Mini at a more reasonable price, I would definitely go that route.

As for me, I'm waiting for a compelling upgrade to the sleek cylindrical Mac Pro. If and when it comes out, I'll buy that for my next computer and hope that it will last me for 10+ years. =)

richmlow

12. jerwin macrumors 68000

13. alex.marton thread starter macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Thanks! :) That's cool that you're saving up for a Mac Pro! I'd buy one, but can't afford one for now. I looked at the Mac Minis, and the mid-range one has Intel Iris graphics, so I might go for that one. :) As for the AMD one, I'll make sure to keep looking for some. :)

If you are talking about the Mac Mini, yes it has a Dual Core i7 option when configuring it. :) If you are talking about the Mac Pro, it doesn't. (I'm guessing you knew that). :)

14. jerwin macrumors 68000

I was sort of referring to this particular $499 model with the 6630M vidcard... If it has a i7, sure, that's a plus.