Mac Mini Hard Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by asl9791, Oct 21, 2011.

1. asl9791 macrumors newbie

Hi all, newbie here!

Just a question, if i replace the hard drive on my mac mini, do i just use the CD that came with it to install the OS on the new hard drive and then restore it from my timecapsule? or do i have to purchase a whole new copy of the OS.

Thanks in advance

2. asl9791 thread starter macrumors newbie

would it be a simple case of just following the instructions after inserting the CD....thanks for quick reply. Basic questions but i want to be totally sure on what im doing before i try hahaha.

Also any recommendation on what hard drives, not gonna go for SSD cos i wasnt higher capacity but faster performance! Also any RAM recommendations too....
    THANKS!

3. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Do you have a 2011 mini? If you do I think you can create a restore drive (USB) from the osx partition then restore (cmd R) once the new drive is installed. If you have an older mini with a optical drive, you can restore using the restore CDs that came with your mac. If you don't have the restore CDs then buy the lion update from the app store and create a usb bootable drive to restore from.

4. asl9791 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have the 2010 model with the optical drive...... which im very happy that i didnt wait for the 2011 model! Much appreciated for the speedy input everyone!:eek: