Mac Mini - Hard Restart upon Fullscreen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aceguitarslingr, Mar 13, 2011.

1. aceguitarslingr macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Thanks for the help in advance. I'll try to be as concise as possible.

My Mac mini (Core Duo, 1gb, 320 gig if I remember correctly - it's from '08 I think) has started to randomly (well...) restart - by which I mean it suddenly switches off and on again in an instant, as if you hold the button down until it's off and press it again immediately to turn it on - but much quicker. It's instant to the chime.

So far I've observed this behaviour as linked to maximising video, both flash on the web (though never with YouTube if I remember correctly) and iTunes on the harddrive.

So what happens is you're watching a video, maximise it and instantly or after a few seconds you hear a click and the chime and see the startup screen. It doesn't always happen by any means, but it is happening increasingly.

Advice massively appreciated.

2. Slos macrumors newbie

mac mini restarts by itself

I'm having the same issue with my mac mini 1,1. 2006 model, 2 gig, 250 gb hd and intel core duo 1.66. I think it started after installing an update to Mac OS X 10.6. I wonder if it will stop when I install 10.5 but I'm not very motivated to downgrade just because of this, because, as you say, this problem occurs on very few occasions (luckily). It still is annoying though. More worrying is the fact that no one responded to your initial post from 03/2011. :(