Mac Mini - Hardrive crash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xadmz, May 10, 2009.

1. xadmz macrumors newbie

I was recently using my computer the other day which is a mac mini. I left it on and came back to use it and when I just clicked the mouse the screen froze. I tried using Ctrl-Alt-Esc but nothing worked so I just turned off the computer. I rebooted it again and I hear a clicking noise and the computer wont load, just a blank white screen. Repeated the same thing multiple times and still the same. Unfortunatley for me I didn't make a backup of the hard drive. I brought the computer into the apple store to get it fixed.

I wanted to know if there is any way to salvage(data recovery) any of the files from the hardrive or someway to recover them. I looked at how much it costs to do a data recovery and the price seems way to expensive.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Data recovery is expensive because it is a very involved process, and there is no way around it if the computer doesn't recognize the drive.

3. xadmz thread starter macrumors newbie

Could a program like Data Rescue II work to recover the files.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If the drive is dead, then no. That works best for deleted files.

5. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

He can give it a shot. It was able to recover almost 10gb of data from my friend's clicking and unable to boot 100gb ATA drive in his powerbook about 2 years ago the first time I ever used it.

Don't ask me how it did it, but it did, I was VERY surprised.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I normally put clicking drives in a static back then into a freezer back then yes into the freezer. That technique has worked a few times for me