mac mini has renamed its hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ICE UK, Sep 4, 2010.

1. ICE UK macrumors newbie

Hi,

can anyone advise?

I have a Mac Mini 2GHz Intel core duo and after downloading pac man and installing it the hard drive has been renamed to vvbb and appears on the desktop as a picture of an actual hard drive other that the icon that it used to show.

Whats up?

Cheers
    :confused:

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I'd be a little confused as well.

Can you just name it back? To get your original icon back, get info on said drive and then highlight the icon and hit command+X to "cut" the icon. Should go back to the standard icon.

Hopefully nothing else happened to the drive.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

What btbrossard said should get you back to good. Since it's been renamed to vvbb and the "v" key is right next to the "b" key is there's a good possibility that that you had the hard drive selected and accidentally hit the "v" and "b" keys renaming it, I can't explain the change in hard drive icon though.

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You mounted a disk image. It's not your hard drive. Right-click vvbb and click Eject, then it's gone.

This is how software is installed on a Mac. You mount a .dmg-file, it shows up as a disk where the files to install the software are located. Eject it and delete the dmg after installing, and everything is just as you're used to.