Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmPol

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
UK
I am running a Mac mini as my iTunes media server.

I control it by screen sharing in with my nMBP and showing the output on the nMBP and on a 50" Sony via HDMI.

It used to run ok, but now (Yosemite 10.10.1) every time I try to play an iTunes movie I get a 'The movie can only be displayed on displays that support HDCP'.

The display must support this as it used to work ok?

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I am running a Mac mini as my iTunes media server.

I control it by screen sharing in with my nMBP and showing the output on the nMBP and on a 50" Sony via HDMI.

It used to run ok, but now (Yosemite 10.10.1) every time I try to play an iTunes movie I get a 'The movie can only be displayed on displays that support HDCP'.

The display must support this as it used to work ok?

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

You can't screen share with Yosemite. It has something to do with HTML5 player.
I had the same problem with trying to run Netflix on my monitor attached by thunderbolt to DVI and my TV attached hdmi to hdmi. The monitor gets the same error but the TV works fine. I think the connection has to be a straight hdmi to hdmi in order for it to work.

Last edited:

ArmPol

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
UK
I don't think I am using airplay. The mini is connect by hdmi cable to the display and I am connecting in to the mini from my laptop over a wifi router. Correct me if I am wrong please but I am not using airplay.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I don't think I am using airplay. The mini is connect by hdmi cable to the display and I am connecting in to the mini from my laptop over a wifi router. Correct me if I am wrong please but I am not using airplay.

I think that would involve screen sharing which Yosemite with HTML5 does not support.

When did this start occurring? You are running a Beta version of Yosemite and this may be a problem. It could be iTunes Beta problem.

You said it use to work. What OS were you running then?

--------------------

I just tried a movie from iTunes with screen sharing on mine and it worked fine but I have a straight connection with my TV so maybe it has to do with how you are connecting by wifi to your Mini. I'm not running the Beta so that could be the difference.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.