Mac Mini HDD??

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by cisco697, Sep 2, 2009.

1. cisco697 macrumors newbie

cisco697

I just bout a mac mini C2D 2.0 (HTPC didn't think I needed the 2.26, we'll see if I am wrong) and I am going to be doing some mods. I was wondering is there a consensus out there about what hdd to use?

I am definitely putting in a 7200 hd. But what kind? And what brands of ram should I get?

Any other mods while it is open?

Let me know what you guys think!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

how about an SSD? The RAM sticks you can get from OWC or crucial. The RAM prices went up for some reason a few weeks ago though.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

All Intel based MacMini's have being using SATA HDD or SSD, the speed is up to you and the brand is a matter of personal preference. Seriously though, if you want something speedy there's nothing faster than a SSD!!

If your gonna mod it, might as well drop in 4Gb RAM well your at it. Save yourself some hassle and buy something decent. Cheap might be cheerful but they've been known to make the system unstable/unreliable.

IF you really want to. The CPU is upgradable but you'll need to search the net for a suitable unit cause they're mobile processors as used in laptops & notebooks.

Good Luck :)

4. batistuta macrumors regular

I have the same machine, but went SSD and can only say it is THE most significant upgrade I have ever done to ANY computer, in terms of performance!
    It also limits noise and heat compared to a 7200rpm drive. Mine is a 64GB SuperTalent, other candidates could be OZC Vertex or Intel X-25M.

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

6. minusten macrumors member

500gb too hot?

On the subject of heat, I was asking an Apple reseller/technician (not an actual Apple store) about putting in a 500gb (5400) and they said that would be too hot for the mini. Does a 500gb drive get hotter than a 320gb even if both 5400rpm? Has anyone had any problems with either a 500gb drive's heat or any 7200rpm drives in the Mini?

7. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I got Fujitsu 320GB 7200rpm drive. Love it, and the price is right.

SSD is a good way to go if you want to spend a few extra bucks and give up some disk space. My Mini is Home Theater Server, so I didn't need an SSD.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

not sure why this comes up so often. there are many forums about it.

RAM: www.crucial.com
    HDD: any 2.5" SSD @ 7200RPM for you.

it won't get too hot, if so run SMC fan control and you'll be fine. i know many people with 500GB 7200RPMs