Mac Mini HDMI sound confusion

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by AirwingMarine, Apr 11, 2009.

1. AirwingMarine macrumors newbie

AirwingMarine

Ok I'll try to break this down......I got the DVI to HDMI hooked up to my 21.5 inch acer monitor from my mini. Of course I have no sound which I understand, the internal speakers work in the mini but when I try to do a simple audio out setup to the monitor from the mini that doesn't work either. I checked the audio setup in system pref. but couldn't figure it out, I want to eventually get the audio from my mini going to my JVC receiver, should i just run a phono from the mini's audio out jack to the receiver? my receiver supports all audio formats so maybe i should go optical. If any one can answer this for me.. for good I would greatly appreciate.

2. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Yes, just connect the Mac Mini sound out to your JVC receiver. Use the appropriate cables/adapters to connect to one of the optical in ports on your receiver.

3. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

Like mentioned above, the mini has an optical output from its mini-jack audio out. All you need is a Toslink to mini-jack adapter and you will be able to connect it to the optical in on your receiver.

The adapters look something like this:

[​IMG]

Its amazing how many people don't realize that you can use an optical connection with the SPIDF connectors. They are also somewhat hard to find, without resorting to ordering online. I went into a local electronics store asking for an adapter to go from mini-jack to optical, and the sales associate looked at me like I had two heads :confused:

4. AirwingMarine thread starter macrumors newbie

AirwingMarine

whoa! cool thanks for that info on the optical connection, i guess that will be a new device that I will be adding to my home inventory of misc. electronics equipment. Yeah i guess thats what I'm gonna do for sure now. I think all of these HDMI mini questions would not exist if apple would have made it with a HDMI port and made sure it supported the sound through the connection.