MAC MINI HELP???

chrisregentb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Hi, I bought a new mac mini, I am having trouble with Word X, I get an error message of: Not enough memory or hard disk space to open a file, the computer came with 256 mb of ram, 1.2 gig proccessor, and 60 gig hd. I upgraded the 256 to 512 mb of ram. I am running Entourage, Word X, and Classic mode, as well as the finder, I looked on Activity Monitor and I have about 40 megs of ram unused. and the hard drive has about 17 gigs of hard disk space. The file is only 122k. Can anyone help me with this problem? I have run out of ideas. Thanks

Chris

chrisregentb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Already tried that

I have already tried, and installed all the updates required. I still get the same message, and have no clue what to do. Thanks

Chris

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Does Word.X load if you do not try to open a document, but just Word itself?

Things I would try:

1) Where is the document located? If it is not somewhere in your home folder on your main hard disk, move it there (e.g., move it to the desktop), and try again.

2) Close all applications (everything except Finder, including Classic), and wait half a minute, and then try -- this is in case there is a memory leak issue, where one of your programs has addressed a lot of ram and failed to return it.

3) Try moving the following files from ~/Library/Preferences/ to somewhere else, temporarily, while Word is not running:

com.microsoft.word.prefs
com.microsoft.word.prefs.plist

And then try again. (This will delete your preferences settings, but if they are corrupt, it might possibly explain this).

chrisregentb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
By the way I forgot to mention that the file I am trying to open is for Word 98, but I don't think that has anything to do with it since I was able to open it at one time, and it's not a corrupt file, because they all say that. thanks

Chris

chrisregentb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
No, the error states: Can't open Word Document Not enough memory or hard disk space to open. Thanks

Chris