Mac Mini Home Theatre Setup

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by biff15, May 22, 2014.

1. biff15 macrumors newbie

Looking for some help regarding a home theatre setup with a Mini. Currently I have the unit plugged into a Pioneer Receiver (VSX 822K) via HDMI with the receiver plugged into my flat screen via another HDMI. Ultimately I am hoping to use the mini as a media server with plex but my initial attempts have been unsuccessful due to audio sync issues (audio is well ahead of video) on most of the files I have attempted to play. After doing some research I noticed that this seems to be an issue with certain file types on Plex so I switched over to itunes as a test. Sync issues were not an issue initially but now seem to pop up intermittently even through itunes. Could this be a simple problem like a faulty HD cord running from the receiver to the TV or potentially a bigger issue? Would it make sense to plug the mini directly into the TV and run a optical cable to the receiver just for audio? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The first step I would take is definitely trying iTunes, which you did. Based on intermittent issues, I would replace my HDMI cable from my Mini to my receiver.

I have a 2009 mini so HDMI with audio is not exactly the option for me. With that in mind, I run HDMI to my receiver (I need a mini display to HDMI adapter for this and you probably do not) and then optical cable from my audio out on my mini to my receiver. I have absolutely no issues. If you do not care about the extra cable, I would do that. Your results should be perfect even with Plex. I run the same, Plex playing full unconverted rips of movies with no issues.

However, try a new HDMI cable first. Unfortunately, I have learned that not all HDMI cables are the same. I wouldn't spend money on Monster cables, for example, but my experience with Monoprice cables has been wonderful.

3. biff15 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I'll give that a shot. I did replace the HDMI cable running from the mini to the receiver and it didn't seem to make a difference but hopefully the optical cord will fix it. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Put your tv into video game mode. If that fixes it, then the problem is that the processors in the tv are slowing down the video. And since the audio is not passing through the tv, the audio signal is playing sooner. Mine does this when video enhancements are turned on, inside the tv.

5. blanka macrumors 68000

As Plex is an XBMC fork, it is pretty easy to align audio and video. Just go to the audio options and sync it.

I think as well the TV is to blame. Disable all image enhancement (which looks crap anyway). Disable sharpening, motion flow etc, they all need a bunch of frames to interpolate, calculate and thus delay the video stream.
    Sometimes using a game-mode can help, but this mode can also alter colour accuracy and fix frame rates to 60Hz.

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Have you ran the mini directly to the TV while avoiding the receiver?