Mac mini horror story

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by three, Dec 28, 2008.

1. three macrumors 6502a

three

I was upgrading the memory in my Mac mini a couple days ago and so far the opening and the upgrade went well, until when I was reinserting the ribbon cable (if you've ever opened a Mac mini you know which one) I heard a popping sound coming from the connector. A few moments later the connector fell off, turns out the connector is only soddered by 4 very tiny soddering points. I went to the local Mac Store in town the next day and I ordered a whole new replacement board. I advise you to just be careful whenever you are upgrading a mini. :) The part hasn't come yet btw.

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I think you mean "soldering" but given the nature of this cautionary tale, perhaps "soddering" is more appropriate ...

3. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

How much did the replacement board run you? My logic board died on my mini about a year ago, and I was looking at over $400 for a new one.

4. three thread starter macrumors 6502a

three

I only had to replace the interconnect board which was only $30 from Apple. The logic board at least on my mini is fine.

5. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Lucky dog. My mini has been sitting in storage unusable needing a $400 fix to a machine paid $500 for, and worth about $200.

6. ADent macrumors 6502a

Why are you reinserting the ribbon cable? I have had mine apart several times and have left that cable connected.

7. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Isn't that the way, it happens to everything, including cars. The question is when to stop pouring money in, but then again when you can't afford to buy a new car or newer car, then just fixing it is the best at times. I , know random ,but what ever its late!

8. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

If it wasn't very hard to find donor mac-mini's on eBay, some of these parts could probably be had on the cheap, right?

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Same here...I guess we were lucky?

10. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Not logic boards. Since they are worth as much as the entire machine, they seem to be harder to find on the cheap.

11. ADent macrumors 6502a

If you find a cheap G4 mini mother board, let me know - I need one.